Help with tipi

I have an older seek outside tipi, and was looking to attach some guy out points. How would I do this without messing up the tent? Also any other diy mods that would make life better would’ve appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
FWIW,
When building my tipi I installed buyouts on the seam midway up.....but if its pitched right....it doesn't need them. I got a pretty good test in 60mph winds and the shape of the tipi sheds wind better than any other design I've seen.

that said...if you really want the guyouts....you can sew grosgrain onto the seams and the seam itself will distribute the weight without need of a gusset.

OP
H
Ok mainly wanting to increase the “toebox” on my tipi wall, do you have any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used a circle and just looped the cross-grain and sewed to the circle. A single small hole to poke it out from the inside of the shelter.
13af7f872aafd19a0b3ae0441eb57138.jpg
8b5788d75a77b9867e61f388076f9cd3.jpg

I agree that adding to the seam is probably strongest but I've tested this design for a few years with no issues. This way will add tension the center of the panel which my design needed

colonel00

WKR
I had Live2Hunt add some guyout points to my Cimarron in the corner seams just to help pull those corners up and out a bit. While not 100% necessary, it is nice to have them when you have rain or snow and those longer seams start to sag a bit. It really opens up the inside. As others suggested, just sew some grosgrain or other material on the inside as reinforcement and then attach something as a loop.

Here are a couple videos showing the guyouts in use on a wet, snowy morning after my tent had collapsed the night before when my CF pole snapped. I didn't have the added guyouts in use the night before and the snow just built up on the tent.

Extra Guyout Points on Seek Outside Cimarron - YouTube
Inside the Seek Outside Cimarron with extra guyout points - YouTube

530Chukar

WKR
This is what I did with mine. Glued the cordura into place with Silnet and let it dry with a 10lb. weight on it overnight. Sew an X across it and then around the perimeter. Next I bar tacked a piece of gutted paracord onto the cordura. I then attatched line loc 3's to the paracord with a lark's foot. It has worked well in some strong winds as well as my dog hitting the lines at 50 mph. View attachment 68797

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
I had Live2Hunt add some guyout points to my Cimarron in the corner seams just to help pull those corners up and out a bit. While not 100% necessary, it is nice to have them when you have rain or snow and those longer seams start to sag a bit. It really opens up the inside. As others suggested, just sew some grosgrain or other material on the inside as reinforcement and then attach something as a loop.

Here are a couple videos showing the guyouts in use on a wet, snowy morning after my tent had collapsed the night before when my CF pole snapped. I didn't have the added guyouts in use the night before and the snow just built up on the tent.

Extra Guyout Points on Seek Outside Cimarron - YouTube
Inside the Seek Outside Cimarron with extra guyout points - YouTube
Those extra guyouts really change that cimarron interior space. Great idea!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

NHBacon

FNG
I made mine out of small rectangle pieces of 1000 Denier Cordura. My tipi sides are 6' i put a tie out 2' up on all sides. Gave me much more room inside.