Not so UL tipi stove

Finally got around to finishing this after a couple years. I was looks for a car camping stove that was small, easy to set up, and be more durable than my TI stove.
Needs a few tweaks and I still have to build a box to house it.
gTYGlkk.jpg

tpF0fiZ.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to build something similar for my tipi when I'm car camping in the winter would be awesome to dampn the stove and get a long burn time at night. What's the dimensions of your stove?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
C
I like to build something similar for my tipi when I'm car camping in the winter would be awesome to dampn the stove and get a long burn time at night. What's the dimensions of your stove?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The ID is 8.5 x 14 and there's a baffle welded in there. As of right now I'm thinking I need to make the holes in the vent bigger.

OP
C
I was really questioning making such a box for this and I realized I just built a nice table for in my Redcliffe. I've got everything blocked in there so it can't move around and room for an elbow.
yMbwlit.jpg

MmyijtL.jpg

OP
C
It's cut from a junk roll out of a veneer mill. Basically it's a piece of 1/8'' wall tubing. The rest of the steel was random short pieces that were laying around at work. Damper came from Ebay and the pipe is hot water heater pipe from Lowes.

WoodBow

WKR
I like it. I have been wanting to do something similar. I have a SO titanium stove for backpacking but would like something a little bigger that requires no setup for car camping.

OP
C
It's just a piece of tubing. We set 6 foot pieces outside for local scrappers to take so we don't have to fool with them for scrap.
Call around to some machine shops and see what they have.

OP
C
To make a new roll you have to buy a piece of tubing that 6' too long. So we cut 6' off a new piece and junk it. That's why I say call around and maybe you find a shop that does something similar.

OP
C
Three trip now with it and it's 100% been worth the work. Put up and take down in around two minutes and hands stay totally clean.
9QWBgAK.jpg

Owenst7

WKR
Yeah, me too....but I haven't seen anything like that tubing....not worth forming the cylinder....better to do box stove

You could easily make a round stove on a press brake if you wanted that profile. SWAG offroad makes a very affordable weld-at-home kit that fits a typical import 20 ton press. I use the hell out of mine. Look up your local 4x4 forum/club and reach out if that interests you. Just about every friend I have in the offroad community owns multiple welders and has a press.

RuffStuff in Loomis could easily whip something out like that for you and they aren't that far of a drive, but you'd probably be able to find a local guy that could do it in his garage for beer and pizza.

Even a box profile would be better on a brake simply because you could remove several welds.

OP
C
So how long does it put out heat for all damped down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how give a good answer to that. We shut it down at the end of the night so I don't really know how long it would last. I do know a beer box full of White Oak chunks last for two long evenings just hanging out inside. One nice thing is if the stove is cold in the morning I've packed it up with 1/3 of the unburnt coals in it. This makes a huge difference compared to starting empty.