Anybody out there mod the top of their AMR?

snowplow

WKR
Im thinking of adding some female buckles to the material on the back side of the bag openung up top. Then it could be rolled or folded over like the lid on a reckoning.

Or somthing like that.. Read my mind...

Any body do mods to your AMR?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

SneekyPee

Lil-Rokslider
I did that to my DT1 and it works good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I added a pals matrix just below the zipper on the front side to add a belt pouch. Then I added a pals matrix and tabs on the back top to run it with out a lid and a belt pouch up there if I want.
9a6cc0cc6264943945c99f22c6c1f4f7.jpg
081c16873c30b1432c41e005afb49272.jpg

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Bill that's exactly what I want to do! How did you sew your thick nylon straps on? I've hand-sewn a lot of leather with a speedy Stitch but I wasn't sure if it would work well on this.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Hey PS what in the heck is that brown strap that runs the width of the frame for?

The brown strap is a “grab handle” for the bag. Probably not needed but haven’t taken the time to remove it yet.

I use a cheap Singer Simple sewing machine from Walmart. Less than $100. Works perfect for the small stuff I do. Never missed a beat sewing the pals matrix onto the 500d cordura.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
That's outstanding! That's the machine my daughter has I'm the only one I've ever used. I just didn't want to make her cry if I broke it :)

Any of you guys remove some if not all of the palace Matrix on the sides? There sure is a lot there and it was such a big bag and those big pockets really can't imagine adding any. Even a spotting scope pocket would probably just go right in the main bag. What do you guys think?

I’ve waffled back and forth regarding removing some of the side Molle webbing but just can’t bring myself to do it. Never removed any Molle webbing from anything and not sure what it would look like with all the remaining tiny holes. My AMR weighs in at 2#10 oz and that’s good for me right now. If I really need to drop oz’s I’ll just swap into the Argali.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Wow that's about a pound lighter than normal isn't it? If you wouldn't mind sharing what have you done?

Didn’t do much. I swapped all the paracord for 2mm reflective cord. Cut all the folded and sewn ends off the straps so I can get them thru the auto locks easier. Also cut the sewn straps attached to the bottom of the bag and added a shorted version with k-clips. Now I can suck the bottom of that bag back to the frame instead of just to itself. Since I never attach anything to the very bottom of my bag I think the newer add k-clip straps are half the weight of the sewn on straps. Also removed all the Velcro one wrap from the ends of the straps and just tuck them under each other or under Molle if they’re flopping around too much.

Will have to look around and find it....but I made a short strap to use on the lower pals in the center like the bottom bow holder strap on the Reckoning.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Wow that's awesome bill I can't believe that little bit made such a big difference. I would imagine a scrapping that thousand delid probably made a pretty good difference to. I had the exact same thought about the Lord grab handle on the Reckoning. I finally sold mine and that was one feature that was really really great. Especially since it was wide so worked with my recurve really really well. This is one of those packs I think it's just perfect for me. I was apprehensive to cut anything on the Reckoning and I'm glad I didn't. But I think I'm going to go Hog Wild on this and make it perfect for me. Even if I get another bag later I can't imagine selling this one because I just don't see anything else better. I even think the horizontal Bottom Zip is way more convenient and easier-to-use then the vertical zip on the Reckoning because it'll actually flop right open. I'm in Brush Country here so I don't even own a spotting scope. But if I ever go that route seems like a sleeve on the inside of that hack would work great instead of another exterior pouch on an already big bag. I might be experimenting with some of that stretchy material.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
On another side note, I have a guide lid that I was screwing around with and it seems to me if you clip it to the bottom of the pack it can be very similar to a grab it. I've never had a grab it but just saying.

You’re exactly right. Not sure how strong the buckles would be vs the dedicated grab it lower straps but in theory it would work just the same.

I cut the shoulder straps out of my guide lid and just use the straps with the k-clips from the bottom of my bag when I want to run it like a pack.

SneekyPee

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s my DT1

432af35f0be8e072ccb805faa8f187ac.jpg
4b8bc9102cae3cd9045b5e20d18f692e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: