Truck Topper

tems908

FNG
I'm looking into getting a topper for my F250. It would be used for everyday uses, some hunting weekends and family camping. What are the options you guys didn't get that you wished you would have? Is there anything you got that you never use? I'm just looking for input from like minded people. Thanks.

rlmmarine

WKR
My first truck had a fold down front window so I could clean between the glass I really miss that option on my second. My first one also had frame less windows that I cosmetically like better. Both have carpeted ceiling that I like to keep noise down. Just last weekend I went to the salvage yard and took a roof rack of a suburban and installed it onto the top to store more gear on trips I love it and it was only 20 dollars. If your going to stay in it get the full half sliding windows with screens instead of the quarter slides. One handle is alot nicer than two trust me on this. My buddy is planning a trip west and wanted one that was raised a little but fou d a nice red fiberglass one on Craigslist for 200 dollars. He painted it with als bed liner black and it looks pretty sharp

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I like the fold out windows and a one latch door. I also absolutely love the cap-pack. Won’t have another canopy without it. Hell I’m thinking about selling them in the Rokslide store.
d07334d860c640da917a47a353052580.jpg

837d2585b0b3c1e66b7a0a088b868173.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose the answer is affected by all the potential uses of your truck bed and cap. I personally could not devote the interior space needed for drawers, compartments and such. I would need the entire inside space available clear to the ceiling of the cap. I've run caps on all my trucks for 30+ years. I always get a roof rack, carpeted head liner, led lights, slam latch, curved glass door, and drop down front window. I'm currently awaiting delivery on a new 2018 Super Duty and I will definitely equip it with a new ARE Z-Series Cap.

xziang

WKR
Last two trucks have been tacomas and I put a shell on each one. Like previous person said if you want a 'rack' on top of the shell I would just buy one from a vehicle at salvage yard and then install it onto the shell. This however will void the warranty but I haven't had any issues with my last two shells. (if you buy new). I would seriously look for one on CL I just couldn't find any for my Tacoma unfortunately. I pulled the rack system from a 4runner for my last truck.

This truck it is carpeted with a drop out front window for cleaning. I like both of those options especially for camping in it. If you decide to put a rack on the top of it use some 'longer' bolts when installing it and then run some galvanized pre holed 'L' channel on the inside of the rack so you can run some bungee chords between it for storing stuff next to the ceiling.

The one 'problem' issue is when a dealer installs it in order to get the light in the bed to work the parking or headlights have to be on for they don't run an exclusive 'hot' wire all the way back to the truck.

Keep an eye on craigslist.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm looking into getting a topper for my F250.

If your F-250 is a Super Duty and you're looking used at all.......just make sure it's a SD topper, as the SD's beds taper towards the rear. I see a lot of trucks around with non-SD toppers and the edges are hanging over the sides of the truck a couple inches on each side. I found my SD topper on Craigslist locally for $300.

Jbehredt

WKR
Fold down front window would have been nice. I strongly prefer the naked edge glass all around. Makes the truck look better with the topper than without. CL is the place to start. I believe I saved around 75% on my last leer 100XQ.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the 100XL Leer model on my Silverado. frameless windows with side vents for the dog, carpet lined, auto locks and a cargo rack on top its been worth every penny imo and it looks great to. I didn't do the slide down locker on it because my dog kennel won't clear but I'm thinking about doing either a truck vault or a bed slide

I put a leer on my 2011 tundra the day I bought it brand new.

I like the fold in window for cleaning. Carpeted liner is a must. No condensation when sleeping. I really like my bed rug also. Matches my liner on my topper.

I will buy an identical topper if I ever replace the tundra with a new version.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know if one of those Cap Packs will work with one of the mid-rise caps that ARE or LEER offer? I'm planning on purchasing a 2018 F150 this summer (SuperCrew/5.5' bed) and want to put either an ARE MX series or LEER 180XL cap on it. I'd love to also run one of those Cap Packs (or LEER Locker) but I'm not sure if they will fit.

Anyone have experience with this?

colersu22

WKR
I like the fold out windows and a one latch door. I also absolutely love the cap-pack. Won’t have another canopy without it. Hell I’m thinking about selling them in the Rokslide store.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see it on his site but what is the width and depth of that? I saw he has the 50" and 60" long model but no other dimensions.

Getnlost

FNG
I have owned ARE and LEER caps before. In the east they are referred to as caps. I felt the ARE was built a little better than the LEER based on thickness of fiberglass, mounting hardware, rear door hardware. That is my opinion and may very between models so i would recommend looking at them both, see what you think. I will never by a cap without the windoors on the side. Having the ability to open the side windows and reach in is well worth the additional price.
I saw Ryans Cap Pack just the other day. It is absolutely awesome. It looked like it would be easy to install with the help of a buddy. The mounting hardware had a rubber looking seal over it to prevent leaking. I did not do a close inspection but it appeared to be top notch.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
one side note.. make sure you get the dust kit and get a good seal anywhere dust can make it in

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That Cap-Pack looks interesting, especially for archery gear. Does your stuff just slide around inside of it, or is there a way to secure it? My problem though is that I'm already hitting my head on the roof all the time when organizing gear in the back, even without something lower.:mad:

colersu22

WKR
When I checked out their site 5mile they do have an accessory that goes into the tray for 3 rifles and one option for a bow that looked like rubber stops that trapped the limb so it wouldn’t slide around. I have a nice SKB case for my bow and that’s why I was curious about the depth of the drawer but that product does look really useful. Check out the site, he has an install video and a couple other good videos about the product.

Dewy

FNG
I have owned ARE and LEER caps before. In the east they are referred to as caps. I felt the ARE was built a little better than the LEER based on thickness of fiberglass, mounting hardware, rear door hardware. That is my opinion and may very between models so i would recommend looking at them both, see what you think. I will never by a cap without the windoors on the side. Having the ability to open the side windows and reach in is well worth the additional price.
I saw Ryans Cap Pack just the other day. It is absolutely awesome. It looked like it would be easy to install with the help of a buddy. The mounting hardware had a rubber looking seal over it to prevent leaking. I did not do a close inspection but it appeared to be top notch.

I second the windoors, they make life much easier. Mine are split with a slider and have a screen so that the pup can get plenty of cool air after a nice hike through the woods,

Hinged side windows.

I made a two drawer wood truck bed box and then used the cheap Bedliner on it. I was real close to going with the cap pack, I liked the added security of a looked tailgate, so went th drawer route. I may still add a cap pack