My Gong Setup

robie

WKR
I posted this else where to help someone. Thought it might help some of you guys as well.

I bought the following parts and then went to home depot and bought black metal pipe 4 3' sections of metal and a 2x4.

Bracket, currently OOS but there are other options - LINK

Straps, people said you will eventually shoot the metal chain - LINK

Gong, these guys are near my house but have good price and shipping is ok - LINK

gong.jpg

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
How does it fair with not being able to swing? Have you had any problems with the bolts going through the 2x4 because of this?

OP
robie

robie

WKR
How does it fair with not being able to swing? Have you had any problems with the bolts going through the 2x4 because of this?

It swings just fine with the rubber straps like MTguy said. If you shoot the rubber straps you are still good to go.

FYI the metal tubing will still stay standing with a direct hit. Wasn't my finest shot but was impressed with that.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I should also state that the best thing is it breaks down into movable parts easily. 4 legs, 2 brackets and then the 2x4 with gong are the only bulky parts once broken down.

bradb

WKR
I use the same basic set up, other then the straps and I have so far used what ever I grab.....my bungie cord is getting a little thin! I think its a very good easy set up

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My portable stand is a $30 yellow metal saw horse from home depot, I added some tabs on the legs to stake them down so it doesn't collapse when the gong swings. I drilled a line of holes along the lip to hang chains off. Works pretty well and also easy to clamp cardboard to for paper target work. I'm due for a replacement though as some carbine shooting has beat of the stand a bit over time. :p

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Ah okay, I should've clicked on the link to see that they were rubber straps. My bad for the confusion. Looks like a nice affordable little set up. Thanks for including the parts list. Will hopefully get one built here soon.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I get my steel from JC Steel Targets: JC Steel Targets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not a bad price. Anyone that is near a major city should have a metal shop that can cut you one.

Anyone in Houston let me know i can send you the guy i used.

Shipping will always be high on these no way around it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

FreeRange

WKR
I have a similar setup, really like how easy it is to pack down. To make it even lighter I used thin wall electrical conduit for the legs. The brackets I got like yours are meant to fit inside 1" pipe but I took 3/4" conduit and crushed one end to be large enough to fit snugly on the bracket. 4 pieces of conduit is much lighter (and cheaper) than four pieces of 1" pipe and still plenty strong.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I have a similar setup, really like how easy it is to pack down. To make it even lighter I used thin wall electrical conduit for the legs. The brackets I got like yours are meant to fit inside 1" pipe but I took 3/4" conduit and crushed one end to be large enough to fit snugly on the bracket. 4 pieces of conduit is much lighter (and cheaper) than four pieces of 1" pipe and still plenty strong.
That's interesting. Makes sense on the pipe. The brackets make for a great system.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk