3/4" vs. 1" Buckle and Webbing Question

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody out there have any experience using 3/4" nexus side release buckles and 3/4" webbing over the standard 1" buckles and webbing that Kifaru and other manufacturers use on there packs? I'm Looking to cut weight on my pack builds, but if there is an issue with holding strength/slippage under load, I won't bother.

Thanks guys.

Squirrels

WKR
I think 3/4 would hold well for most everything. Though about this myself. You might consider a combo of the two. Maybe have a couple 1” straps where you could secure the extra heavy loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is size/weight for consideration, there is some weight savings but not a huge amount unless a pack with many buckles. There is a bulk savings which is more so a reason in my mind for certain applications. Not sure on the strength difference but for the most part they'd likely be fine. A major consideration is options/availability/compatibility. Most frames are 1" unless you are making your own those connections would need to be 1" and sometimes being able to connect straps/buckles in ways not initially intended can be handy thus some motivation to keep other areas 1" also. The amount of options for 3/4" buckles is reduced as well, so might want to spend some time looking that stuff over.

9kLgaL9l.jpg

OP
M

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
Here is size/weight for consideration, there is some weight savings but not a huge amount unless a pack with many buckles. There is a bulk savings which is more so a reason in my mind for certain applications. Not sure on the strength difference but for the most part they'd likely be fine. A major consideration is options/availability/compatibility. Most frames are 1" unless you are making your own those connections would need to be 1" and sometimes being able to connect straps/buckles in ways not initially intended can be handy thus some motivation to keep other areas 1" also. The amount of options for 3/4" buckles is reduced as well, so might want to spend some time looking that stuff over.

9kLgaL9l.jpg

Pods, you must have telepathy. I was curious on the weight savings, so you read my mind. Thanks!!!
You also make very good points on versatility with the 1" straps & buckles and connection to existing frames with 1" connection points.

Next question... What is the weight savings on 1 yard of 3/4" webbing vs 1" webbing?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its not super exact measuring a small piece of webbing vs a bulk amount (of a known length) and also various webbing products can vary, etc. That out of the way the stuff I have is ~13.5g/yd for 3/4" and 17g/yd for 1".

Fatcamp

WKR
Sorry for the hijack but could someone point me towards a resource for buying replacement buckles and associated gear. Trying to modify a Cabela's pack, but cannot find matching buckles. Using a local seamstress to sew my straps, but she can't see what she doesn't have.

Felix40

WKR
My bikini frame has a lot of 3/4" connections on it and I havent had any trouble with any of them. Ive honestly put more weight on it than I think is reasonable in some situations. The only buckle Ive broken was a 1" ladder lock on my grab-it when I had a whole whitetail buck strapped in.

spotfire

FNG
Sorry for the hijack but could someone point me towards a resource for buying replacement buckles and associated gear. Trying to modify a Cabela's pack, but cannot find matching buckles. Using a local seamstress to sew my straps, but she can't see what she doesn't have.

Supply captain
rocky woods fabrics
outdoor wilderness fabrics
milspec monkey
Oneiros Valley
sometimes military surplus has a Filbe/Ilbe buckle repair kit
ebay too

To the OP, I think the strength will be fine with 3/4", but there's a lot less options in that size. For spots where you're cinching down tight, I think 1" will pull more easily.
If you're familiar with Hill People Gear, there's a philosophy with their gear that all the buckles are somewhat interchangable or at least the same size to make field repair easier. I agree that using the smaller stuff is lighter - look at a lot of the newer lightweight backpacking packs - they use the smaller stuff. For a pack that may be used to haul a heavy load, the strength and interchangability of all 1" gear is worth the extra weight.

Squirrels

WKR
Your best selection on buckles and other hardware that I have found is Hudson Supplies out of Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk