our camp shower going on year 5

boom

WKR
i threw this thing together 5 years ago..maybe longer.

it has worked wonders..starting to get squeaky at the pump, but it still works. best sub $25 bucks i have ever spent on homemade stuff. it is amazing how clean you can get with 2 gallons of water. (i should force my wife to use this at home!)..this year it is gonna get worked!!

camp shower.jpg

OP
B

boom

WKR
Very nice, any chance you have a list of all the parts to make this?

from memory:

i got the two gallon sprayer for $17. i then went and grabbed a replacement sprayer from the kitchen dept. it is the nozzle that sits next to your faucet used to spray dirty dishes (or the cat). i was like $6. here is the ONLY tricky part. i partially opened the kitchen nozzle package and rummaged thru the barbed fittings that would connect to the kitchen sink nozzle. then bought a hose clamp. cut off the OEM fertilizer spray nozzle and attach the kitchen nozzle. you need to cut some hose (off the fertilizer sprayer), or it will be way long like mine.

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Great idea. Could paint it black and it might warm the water on it's own.

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
i threw this thing together 5 years ago..maybe longer.

it has worked wonders..starting to get squeaky at the pump, but it still works. best sub $25 bucks i have ever spent on homemade stuff. it is amazing how clean you can get with 2 gallons of water. (i should force my wife to use this at home!)..this year it is gonna get worked!!

View attachment 71062

Got one just like it, works great. If you do paint it black, rough up the plastic surface with sandpaper first. My first paint job flaked off, second one is holding better.

OP
B

boom

WKR
Got one just like it, works great. If you do paint it black, rough up the plastic surface with sandpaper first. My first paint job flaked off, second one is holding better.

if i want to solar heat it, i think i will set it inside a black plastic bag. painting it is way too much effort for me..;)

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Hey speaking of those spra nozzles beside the kitchen faucet, every time I go to my mother in laws I take some clear tape and tape the nozzle trigger down while the water is off, then when she goes to turn on the faucet, the nozzle sprays her!!

ya'll try it sometime on wife or mother in law and please post here how it turns out!!

jeepfan

FNG
I was surfing youtube for camp hot water. Saw a few videos where a coil was used to heat the water. It was pulled from a cooler full of water.

OP
B

boom

WKR
Hey speaking of those spra nozzles beside the kitchen faucet, every time I go to my mother in laws I take some clear tape and tape the nozzle trigger down while the water is off, then when she goes to turn on the faucet, the nozzle sprays her!!

ya'll try it sometime on wife or mother in law and please post here how it turns out!!

hahhaa..

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider

I actually did that once with my mom when I was younger. It. Did. Not. End. Well. As a matter of fact, it ended horribly!

Ive seen guys use brass or other metal garden sprayers, fill with water, put it on the stove with the lid off and heat to desired temp, put the lid on, pump it up and shower away. I’m not sure if they still make metal garden sprayers these days but if you can find one they work well.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rbinhood

FNG
I have a 2 1/2 gallon stainless steel garden sprayer from Hudson. Works great to heat water on top of a stove. Could also put it over a fire. Can't leave the pump in the tank while the water is heating or the diaphragm in the pump will get soft and not produce pressure. Learned this the hard way after I lent it to a buddy and got it back in non-working condition.

Wrench

WKR
I have a 2 1/2 gallon stainless steel garden sprayer from Hudson. Works great to heat water on top of a stove. Could also put it over a fire. Can't leave the pump in the tank while the water is heating or the diaphragm in the pump will get soft and not produce pressure. Learned this the hard way after I lent it to a buddy and got it back in non-working condition.

I used to do the same. It doesn't have to be blazing hot when it's cold out in order to feel great.

Made a camp shower out of a turkey burner and a water pump. Definitely not something to back pack with. But for truck camping it worked pretty good. Just make a copper coil over the the burner of the turkey fryer. Used an old pot to out over it to help trap the heat. Just ran a short section of garden hose to it from the pump then another section with a watering wand. Put the wand up in a tree. Just make sure you get your water pump going first. Otherwise you'll likely boil the water and make for a bad situation. Figured that one out the hard way.

I was a little worried what I would find when I opened this thread, but curiosity got the better of me.

I already have most of the parts sitting in my garage unused, though, and a September muley hunt in the badlands coming up. Might have to do this.

OP
B

boom

WKR
I need to make another one. I’ve been surf fishing. It would be nice to hose off my waders right there and then instead of dragging it all home to do b

OP
B

boom

WKR
RS-ZE Extreme SC SELF – CONTAINED HOT SHOWER – Restop

I've been using one of these for about five years now with the kitchen sink spray nozzle. One trick I learned for showering outdoors in the winter is stand on something that holds a little bit of the water to keep your feet from freezing to the ground. I use a tote lid to stand in.
That’s big money! But nice.

I stand on the horse stall pad I pull out of the bed of my truck.