Eberle Mainframe Upgrade

The biggest drawback people mention regarding Eberlestock are the non-functional load lifters. After helping a buddy pack elk quarters this winter I decided to work on solving this issue for my Mainframe. Yep - lots of better packs out there (SO/EXO/MR/Kif/Ku/SG/etc., but this pack happened to fit my particular needs and budget just right and so this is the one I needed to optimize. First step was the large pad belt - easy $30 upgrade. Next came load lifters that work.

With the help of pods8, Rugged Stitching, an idea was critiqued, modified, and became reality. Hauled a bag of stove pellets last night for a couple of miles while walking the dog and it hauled very comfortably and the load transfer was awesome. Adam's workmanship was exceptional as always.

I understand that a frame like this does not do all that everybody else might need a pack to do, but for me and my applications it works and is now functional in design. Be creative, accept advice from others who know how to take a concept and make reality, and always try to optimize your system for your needs!

15mm carbon fiber tubing with 2.5mm thick sidewalls was ordered on a slow boat from China via amazon, 1.5" tubular webbing from Balance Community webstore (1.5" is hard to find (1" too small and 2" too big)), stitching and hardware from Rugged Stitching. rods are inside the tubular webbing and velco secures the rods to the PALS webbing allowing the top of the load lifter to extend above the shoulder for a proper (and adjustable) angle. Simple redneckery at work.

M9wKUfh.jpg

WAEgssg.jpg

9fOXVS2.jpg

NXpQXds.jpg

Last edited:
OP
loggerchas
Next step is to move the bottom of the adjustment strap down the shoulder straps for proper positioning. A trip to the climbing store tonight for some parts should resolve that fitment issue and then we're ready!

OP
loggerchas
I don't know if the Blue Widow has molle/PALS like the mainframe does on the frame backsheet (I'm sure that isn't the right name for it...). As far as selling - I certainly can't speak for Adam (pods8 , Rugged Stitching) but he has all of the specs of what he did for me and I would venture a guess that he would make more for people who asked. (I'll just bank a few hours of his custom craftsmanship for future projects in royalties for my poor idea which he honed into a workable solution - LOL!)

I thought about the easier to find thinner wall tubing but was nervous after reading about people's tent pole experiments on here. I really cranked on these with 80# total pack weight last night goofing around and the rods never creaked or bent. Velcro prevents downward slippage and the numerous PALS the rods slide through negates any lateral movement in any direction. Total weight of the mod is 4.8 ounces according to the postal scale.

i called Eberlestock few weeks back and they spoke of a possible taller version in the future. this mod looks great! if there are any future kits or send in for mods id be down for it. great work!

Elkhntr08

WKR
Someone did something similar with PVC pipe on a X2. Yours looks better. What belt did you use for the swap?

OP
loggerchas
The belt upgrade was this one: Amazon.com : Eberlestock Large Pad Replacement Hipbelt, Military Green HBLPMJ : Sports & Outdoors

Much better belt for my use. It's about 1.5" wider and the pad comes much further around the body, not stopping at the hips like the standard belt. The three rows of PALS on the new belt add some more carry options for small pouches and gear also.

My experimentation started with some PVC, but when I cranked on the lifters it snapped. I then filled another set of PVC pipes with wonderfoam, snapped. Switched to hardwood dowels - those worked good for strength but attaching the webbing to them was ugly with the redneckery involved using just my skillset. This configuration is an adaptation of Gen II Load Lifter Panel (LLP) | OV Innovations which I tweaked and then with Adam's guidance redesigned for application with the Eberle. The thick-wall carbon fiber hit all of the marks of weight and strength for my application. Dowels inside the webbing like above would probably work well but anytime wood is used there is always a chance of internal defects that might fail under load and the CF is bombproof weatherwise.

The one thing I really like about this setup is that when in daypack mode with just batwings I can unhook the Velcro flaps and the rods slide down out of the way and at less than 5 oz. are negligible.

eric1115

WKR
Nice! 3 questions then...
Do you know what length rods were used?
Do you have everything else on hand, or do I need to find webbing, buckles, etc?
Approx price for your time and materials?

If you would prefer to continue conversation via pm, feel free.

Thanks!