Exo 5500 Roll Top Conversion Advice Needed

Netherman

WKR
Looking for some advice. I've got a 2015 Exo 5500 bag and want to replace the cinch cords with a roll top. Has anyone done this before?

My plan is to cut the cord out, get some 3/4" webbing to sew around the perimeter, then repurpose the webbing and buckles that went over the top to connect the ends. One thing I'm not sure what to do with is the cordura collar. Should I leave it with the cinch, cut it off, or any other recommendations? I'm also open to suggestions on better ways to convert to a roll top.

thanks,

Nick

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't know the specifics on that collar but keep in mind you loose some length at a minimum to get a couple rolls of the material to actually allow it to hold closed. Thus make sure the cinch collar (which doesn't need that extra length) has enough length for your intended usage OR you should sew on a taller collar.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
This work better?
8b3c2845ec8903779bdab889539b8f82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Off hand thoughts are more or less yours, keep it (doesn't hurt off the bat), cut it back (can always do it later), open up the seam and remove it (also can always do it later).

I'm totally unfamiliar with Exo packs, so bare with me. What is the main purpose for wanting to go with a roll top? Is the snow collar an X-Pac type material, or a not waterproof at all cordura? If the collar is waterproof, why not just pull the draw cord out of the collar and turn that into a roll top? Otherwise if not, cut the collar out (assuming you don't need it anyway) and turn the top into a roll top, like your original plan.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Going with the roll top is more of a want than a need. it'll give me some compression from the top which the webbing strap already does to some extent. I think the roll top will be "cleaner" than the bunched up cinch top.

The black fabric is laminated and is what I am planning to turn into the roll top. I'll probably start by leaving the short collar there, but am pretty sure I'll end up removing it since it won't serve a purpose.