DIY Boot Puffy

As a first sewing project, I want to build a set of puffy jackets for my feet. My primary use would be late season whitetail hunting in MN, but these could probably also be used to sit and glass on a late season western hunt. I would never be walking in these, or even climbing up to my stand in them, just putting them on once I sit down. Overall, I'm looking for the voice of experience when it comes to material selection and design, especially if somebody has tried this before.

Specific questions:
1. Outer material selection. Number one requirement is that it be quiet. If it's going to make a bunch of noise with every little brush against the platform of my lone wolf that's a dealbreaker. Secondary features of interest are durability (the cast aluminum platform of my stand won't be very gentle on the "sole" of the bootie) and water resistance. If necessary I could run something a bit more durable on the bottom only, as long as that material is also quiet. Some sort of lightweight fleece or brushed microfiber with a leather or synthetic leather bottom might work.

2. Insulation. I'm considering 6 or 7.5 oz Apex so that I don't need to mess with baffles or feathers. I don't need these to be lightweight.

3. Interior. Again, this needs to be quiet so it doesn't make noise against my boots. Lightweight and not prone to catching on boots is a plus.

4. Closure:
My idea at this point is to have a zipper up the back and then a draw cord at the top, but I guess I could just overlap the material in the back by 2-3" and use 3 or 4 buttons with elastic loops (quieter than a zipper). Open to suggestions, though if there's a better/quieter/warmer way.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nice that you want to make your own, but have you thought about just picking up a set of Arctic Shield boot blankets and calling it good? For your own, you would need something like saddle cloth for the outside, or some kind of fleece. But, that's gonna collect moisture and burrs. Inside you need something durable to keep your boots from tearing it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Boxerboxer
Nice that you want to make your own, but have you thought about just picking up a set of Arctic Shield boot blankets and calling it good? For your own, you would need something like saddle cloth for the outside, or some kind of fleece. But, that's gonna collect moisture and burrs. Inside you need something durable to keep your boots from tearing it up.

I've looked at those as well as the icebreaker ones. I may still go that route, but this is as much about building the sewing/design chops as it is about having the gear. I'll certainly look to those for inspiration if nothing else. I don't really care too much about burrs. I'm hoping I can keep to synthetics enough that whatever small amount of moisture (if any) remains on my boots when I put them on will be driven out by my body heat, though I'm not totally sure if that's realistic.

WoodBow

WKR
I have considered the same project.

Id put some significant thought into making them with open soles. Any insulation you add under the sole will be greatly reduced due to compression. Open bottoms would greatly improve durability and traction. Just run a strap or two of elastic around the bottom in the best locations to hug the edges to the boot.

Fleece is hard to beat for quiet/affordable/availability. Only downside is it doesnt cut the wind very well. You could play with some light weight synthetics like ripstop under the fleece. Your foot/ankle/lower leg doesnt do a lot of movement that would generate noise once you are in stand and positioning for a shot.

Tuck a hot hand between the boot and the booty if its really cold.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have considered the same project.

Id put some significant thought into making them with open soles. Any insulation you add under the sole will be greatly reduced due to compression. Open bottoms would greatly improve durability and traction. Just run a strap or two of elastic around the bottom in the best locations to hug the edges to the boot.

Fleece is hard to beat for quiet/affordable/availability. Only downside is it doesnt cut the wind very well. You could play with some light weight synthetics like ripstop under the fleece. Your foot/ankle/lower leg doesnt do a lot of movement that would generate noise once you are in stand and positioning for a shot.

Tuck a hot hand between the boot and the booty if its really cold.
I'd definitely insulate the bottom, especially for tree stand hunting. That cold will come straight up through the soles of his boots. He can always replace this insulation on the bottom if it gets compressed over time. That's the key to this whole setup, keeping the cold from coming up from underneath.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the need for insulation underfoot. I use one of those foam pads that feels warm (heat a seat or something like that) when you touch it zip tied to the base on my lone wolf and it makes a world of difference. Something like that would probably make a good sole either inside the booty or secured to the outside and they're cheap to replace if necessary.

OP
Boxerboxer
I'd definitely insulate the bottom, especially for tree stand hunting. That cold will come straight up through the soles of his boots. He can always replace this insulation on the bottom if it gets compressed over time. That's the key to this whole setup, keeping the cold from coming up from underneath.

I think Woodbow is right about compression but I also agree with you that I wouldn't want to leave it totally open. Wind is a huge factor as is condictive loss into the aluminum platform. Even a little thermal separation would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
Could you use a piece of lightweight outdoor carpet for the soles to provide some loft between you and the stand? I’m thinking AstroTurf will cut down on the wind a bit, too. Plus, being synthetic, it should thwart any odors caused by moisture. You could use canvas snaps that install with a punch like https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ca...iece?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions.

Put the head of the snap on the inside and the flat side of the snap on the bottom which could then be touched up with PlastiDip to silence them. I think the flat side would get buried in the carpet loft anyhow. This way you could replace the soles in the future if/when they wear out.

I "made" a set years ago and use them all the time, but I cheated and started with the big awkward ones that Heater Body Suit used to include with a suit, so I had their material to start with. Their material is not only warm, but wind proof.

I then cut out what I needed, sewed it together, added a zipper up the back, and was good to go. I will try to remember to post pics tonight.

Sorry it took me so long to get pics..Here are a few (and yes, I'm a rookie when it comes to sewing).

35HLH7Y.jpg

kNHAGpQ.jpg

h7V7AJq.jpg

N029mQt.jpg

IOVmWCd.jpg

zkvbNRU.jpg

U5QQPLv.jpg

DtWZIRn.jpg

PredatorX

WKR
I don't know why but on my icebreakers I never have used the drawcord. I've used them for over 10 years. I also like the snap loop on them. Makes it easy to attach to a belt or pack.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I don't know why but on my icebreakers I never have used the drawcord. I've used them for over 10 years. I also like the snap loop on them. Makes it easy to attach to a belt or pack.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Good call! I should add a little snap loop to mine, then they could easily hang from my back rather than trying to stuff them in there.