Anyone sewn their own quilts or sleeping bags?

snowplow

WKR
I need to come up with a couple kid bags soon. I'm a decent sewer and was wondering if I would save a ton of money sewing them up?

I was thinking Apex insulation seams easy since it's just one sheet with no baffles, or since they're for kids in the summertime maybe there's something like cheap Costco down quilts I could use or combine.

Anybody have these thoughts? Any ideas?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Depends on what you are going to use them for. If you aren't backpacking in, or going to be in temps below 40 or 50, I'd just run cheap bags from walmart. Hek I backpacked in a $30 bag from academy for years.

Apex is not cheap. I believe when I made my quilt it cost me about $50 for the apex by the time it was shipped. It is a pretty easy project though. I think i'm going to make a mummy bag soon.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Yep that totally makes sense. I either want to do this because it's cheaper for the same quality or for the same price I can get something nicer.

I know lots of guys make stuff out of the Costco down throws. They're 60 in by 70 in and you get a two pack for 40 bucks. And their 700 fill power . What do you guys think of this?

I figure you can sew on a zipper give it a try, and if it's too cold so the second one right on top as a second layer. Once probably a little thin but I bet to would do okay?

Do you think I could do a lot better for 50 bucks?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Here’s one that I picked up off of backpacking light. There was a gentleman on there making them a couple years ago and he used two Costco down throw blankets. I think he charged right around $40 or $50. I have no idea what the temperature rating would be but it’s pretty warm for what it weighs (16.75 oz.).
bf672aae6f31e43bf24b33d0a2c74135.jpg

769666d333e6ea92a4a154f671922817.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk