Adding Velcro to the bottom of pants

Rokwiia

WKR
I've purchased a few Wrangler nylon/spandex pants that have a regular bottom. I'd like to be able to add a velcro to the pant bottom so I could cinch it down when desired or leave it open in hot weather. Railriders has this feature on its Tradewinds pant which has the velcro cuff closure.

I don't have a sewing machine. What is the most efficient and effective way to accomplish this myself or will I need to bring this to a tailor?

Men's Tradewinds Pant | RailRiders

Last edited:
Ive went to Hobby Lobby and bought a snap gun and put snaps on the bottom of my Skree pants

rayporter

WKR
buy a pack of needles and sew it by hand with fishing line.
wont take you long at all. who cares what the bottom of a cuff looks like after a hike?

mt100gr.

WKR
I have always used dental floss for hand sewing. Strong nylon that you can carefully melt the ends down. Nothing professional needed here, just stitch it plenty.

WoodBow

WKR
I'd be more inclined to make a removable strap that goes under your arch. I have never used a cinch function on pant legs. Gaiters are a great solution.

Owenst7

WKR
You guys know you can hand sew with actual thread designed for sewing, right? It's sold right next to the sewing needles at the store.

I've got some climbing pants with elastic and a cord lock that does the same thing. A guy could cut a small hole in the hem and do the job real fast that way. I don't think that material will unravel, but you could poke the hole with a soldering iron or heated knife and solve that problem.

mt100gr.

WKR
Waxed dental floss doesn't slide around freely in the fabric like thread does for the first few stitches. And unless you use a stout nylon upholstery thread, floss is the strongest I have found. Color matching is of zero concern here.