Rain jacket options for sept elk?

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled a good elk archery tag for central Idaho, going to be there sept 14-24. Was looking at first lite sawtooth but it is only water resistant and expensive as hell. Not sure the ifthe “resistant” will work in a good rain or should I be looking for a water “proff”? What are some cheaper options you all are using that are cost effective? My wife is already losing her $h!+ over the cost of this hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
I have a Sitka Thunderhead I am selling. Size large. Pm me if your interested

Kuiu has some of their rain gear in their outlet on clearance. The ultra NX is a steal right now

ColeKira

FNG
It rained every day on and off from 10 minutes, to two hours while I was at 10,000 feet in Colorado during my September bow hunt. Bring something very packable that goes in and off easy. I brought bulky Cabelas Rain Suede that kept me dry, but takes up way too much room in my bag.

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Sawtooth, it won't keep you dry. I do like it very much but it isn't rain gear, more a breathable insulating/outer layer. When I don't need much wind protection it is an outer layer, when I want to break the wind I layer something over it. I like a Sitka Mountain Jacket or vest over it for a lot of my use.

For a light rain jacket the ones mentioned are darn good I'd bet, but I have not used them. One I've used is the Marmot Precip jacket. It is pretty breathable and has kept me dry through light rains for a few hours or brief heavy ones. It is not a real durable jacket, but can be found pretty reasonably priced and replaced as needed. When I want the next step up in durability/waterproofness I go to a Sitka Cloudburst. I haven't tried the Kuiu NX, but everything of theirs I've used is good.

Shane S

FNG
You could look for a solid color in brown or green from a non hunting brand and find something at an entry level cost. I highly doubt you will be stalking elk during a downpour. My experience is that you put them on for 30 minutes to sit out a rainstorm, then pick them away again. If you were going further north to Alaska it would be a different story, but Idaho and Montana are pretty temperate in early to mid September.

Good comparison of non hunting brand rain jackets here:
Rating Scores - The Best Rain Jackets - OutdoorGearLab

I am using the outdoor research helium but we don’t typically experience much rain, I would use something different if significant rain was expected. I wanted something lightweight and packable for just in case. It packs down to about the size of a beer can and weights 6.5 oz.