Elk Decoys

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Not very helpful to this discussion, but we actually had Tank decoys back in the 1980's. Something the Army was testing. A company actually came and took pictures of our tanks and printed them out on a canvas/vinyl material and provided a scissor frame and generator that powered the heat panels. From a distant, it looked like an actual tank through both day and night sights.

When I see them being used on hunting shows, always reminds me of those tank decoys.

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Not terrible. Trick is to let the bull see them then move them or knock them over. Real cows don’t stand still and never move. Maybe I’m crazy but I think bulls will pick up on that as they are coming in.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
To add a little, im talking strictly from a calling standpoint during Prerut/rut. I got ahold of a Montana Decoy cow elk and thought about giving it a shot.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
Not very helpful to this discussion, but we actually had Tank decoys back in the 1980's. Something the Army was testing. A company actually came and took pictures of our tanks and printed them out on a canvas/vinyl material and provided a scissor frame and generator that powered the heat panels. From a distant, it looked like an actual tank through both day and night sights.

When I see them being used on hunting shows, always reminds me of those tank decoys.

I thought the tank Decoy was kicked around back in WW2. Tanks jeeps troop carriers all kinds of stuff. Seemed like I’d seen that somewhere before.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
Not terrible. Trick is to let the bull see them then move them or knock them over. Real cows don’t stand still and never move. Maybe I’m crazy but I think bulls will pick up on that as they are coming in.
So your setting up right behind the decoy then? Had it in my head I’d need it a little ways away

Jbehredt

WKR
We’ve had a few good encounters with the miss September decoy. Have a video of my wife recording with her cell phone from behind one. Bull screaming at her 30 yards away. I won’t carry it but if she’s willing it’s nice to have another tool on hand. It stays in the truck during the muzzleloader overlap.

Beendare

WKR
Big decoy fan

I've killed a pile of elk for myself and buddies with those elk decoys. As with anything, its a learning curve...but when you use them right- they are deadly.

I think the main reason some guys fail with them [at least some of the guys I've hunted with] is because they can't stay still....and then the elk pick them off. You have to assume the elk are scanning and looking for you.

Solo hunt with Montana deke ...first day in a Co OTC unit here
My Co bull04.jpg

I also have that Heads Up deke, it didn't bring in the herd bull but this satellite between us and the herd bull saw it and gave me a 25 yd broadside shot...and then point blank frontal for my buddy.
decoy re.jpg

You have to be prepared to shoot very close frontal shots....and
Decoys are not a stand alone strategy....they are best used in conjunction with the appropriate calling sequences....
in some situations, the decoy can screw you up......each encounter is different......hope that helps

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm sure they can work for some styles of hunting, but when I tried them they always got left behind because I'm almost always on the move and never stay in the same spot for long. I definitely wouldn't want to be right next to it or behind it. If I want the bull's attention to be on the decoy, I would want to be somewhere away from that attention at that point.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
when I tried them they always got left behind because I'm almost always on the move and never stay in the same spot for long.

That’s my concern. It’s the whole reason I don’t carry decoys turkey hunting, more of a run and gun style. Rarely sitting on my butt more than 10-15 min at a time.

Probably gonna drag it with me anyways. Don’t guess I’ve lost anything if it never comes out of the bag.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
I've killed a pile of elk for myself and buddies with those elk decoys. As with anything, its a learning curve...but when you use them right- they are deadly.

I think the main reason some guys fail with them [at least some of the guys I've hunted with] is because they can't stay still....and then the elk pick them off. You have to assume the elk are scanning and looking for you.

View attachment 75226

I also have that Heads Up deke, it didn't bring in the herd bull but this satellite between us and the herd bull saw it and gave me a 25 yd broadside shot...and then point blank frontal for my buddy.
View attachment 75227

Decoys are not a stand alone strategy....they are best used in conjunction with the appropriate calling sequences....
in some situations, the decoy can screw you up......each encounter is different......hope that helps

In my head I’m guessing you wanna try and put shooter ahead of decoy and offset 20-30 yards of line of sight of bull, depending on wind. caller behind and offset of decoy by 15 20 yards? Sound about right or am I way off.

bsnedeker

WKR

View attachment 75226

View attachment 75227

Can you elaborate a bit on your strategy when solo hunting with a deke? I'm going solo to MT this year and have the broadside cow decoy that I was planning on taking with me.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I use one too. Here's a bit of a trick I've learned with these decoys. Don't use the sticks. Punch a hole in the head (I have the Miss September) and use a bungy - hanging it from a tree limb. Make sure it is free to swing around. Set it off to the side by about 20 to 30 yards. The thermals usually make it move enough to mimic movement enough to bring that bull in close enough for a shot. It's worked for us.

The bungy is then used to hold it folded up carrying it over the shoulder. Quick to setup and quick to take down for the run-and-gun style of movement too.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
I use one too. Here's a bit of a trick I've learned with these decoys. Don't use the sticks. Punch a hole in the head (I have the Miss September) and use a bungy - hanging it from a tree limb. Make sure it is free to swing around. Set it off to the side by about 20 to 30 yards. The thermals usually make it move enough to mimic movement enough to bring that bull in close enough for a shot. It's worked for us.

The bungy is then used to hold it folded up carrying it over the shoulder. Quick to setup and quick to take down for the run-and-gun style of movement too.

I’ve got the big cow decoy, thought about ditching the poles and getting some alligator clips on some 550 cord to hang it

Beendare

WKR
Can you elaborate a bit on your strategy when solo hunting with a deke? I'm going solo to MT this year and have the broadside cow decoy that I was planning on taking with me.

Bunch of strategies....keep in mind...a decoy is only supplemental to your calling strategy. Just calling and setting up the deke doesn't guarantee anything. Where the deke excels is reinforcing what the elk hear. The deke works good on elk that are call shy that you just can't get to come in with calling alone. It works great to hold their attention so you can draw on them. It helps when in open country too....I've called a bull for buddies that we spotted on a finger ridge that was 1/2 mile away across an avalanche chute using a 3 dekes setup on a little flat. I don't have the pic on this computer, but I killed a good herd bull in open burned out timber.

I've killed herd bulls with dekes...but if there are satellites around they usually come in first....so theres that.

I've held the decoy out in front of me and walked in on elk [very very slowly of course]

Mostly when solo I set it up, am a little ways out front to the side. Movement can help as Widnert mentioned....sometimes it doesn't matter.

Sometimes flashing it helps....they get visibly perplexed when they think it walks away. It works good when sneaking in too...lets say you are creeping in close and a elk makes you, flash the decoy to calm them down. I've had them bark at me....and I flash the deke and bark back....there was one case where I had a dead bull vs the whole herd bolting out of there....with the decoy being the difference maker.

Hope that helps.