Crazy - Colorado Mailed Me Two Identical Elk Tags!

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, I guess the pot laws in Colorado really are taking their toll on the quality of workmanship in that fine state! Last week, I received my elk tag for this fall (EF003O4R). To my complete shock, I received another identical tag in the mail yesterday! How is this even possible? The bigger question is this - how many of these duplicates have been mailed? This season will be very interesting if a bunch of people end up with extra tags...

I've already called CP&W to report this, and they asked me to send them one of the tags back, which I just did. Good thing they sent it to an honest hunter!

I'm trying to determine how widespread this problem is. Did anyone else receive a second, duplicate tag this year?

Regards,
Scott

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Ha, can't say as though I'm surprised. Seems like there could be quite a few "glitches" this year. I have yet to receive my elk tag in the mail yet...

ckleeves

WKR
It has happened in the past also it’s not just the new system. One year my cousin received 2 buck tags and a refund! I also received 2 identical elk tags a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
When I got my deer tag last week, I also got the same fishing/small game license I purchased in mid March. The difference was that the new one showed a habitat stamp purchase whereas the old one did not. I transferred the HIP number and now have one in my waders and one rubberbanded to my shotgun.

WYCFM1

WKR
If anybody is thinking oh wow possibly two elk this year you might as well go shoot an elk in April without any sort of tag. We need more ppl like OP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Good on you for being honest. Maybe you will be graced with a 350 Bull this year !!

Thanks, Laelkhunter! Unfortunately, the “F” in EF003O4R means it’s a cow tag. I’m a meat hunter, so I’d rather shoot big middle-aged cow than a bull!

Regards,
Scott

OP
S

sab

Lil-Rokslider
If anybody is thinking oh wow possibly two elk this year you might as well go shoot an elk in April without any sort of tag. We need more ppl like OP!

Thanks, collmass21. I agree. In fact, when I opened the envelope, I was angry with CPW for being so incredibly careless. I know that these days, folks aren’t raised like some of us were, and they won’t think twice at using both tags, even though the second elk would be a poached elk.

Regards,
Scott

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When I got my deer tag last week, I also got the same fishing/small game license I purchased in mid March. The difference was that the new one showed a habitat stamp purchase whereas the old one did not. I transferred the HIP number and now have one in my waders and one rubberbanded to my shotgun.

Your fishing/small game license always gets reprinted on the middle of the 3 pieces that make up the tag each time you get another tag. They even printed it out on my state park pass receipt. Its convenient in that I can keep my original one with my fishing gear and I have the small game tag along on my hunts automatically.

sndmn11

WKR
Your fishing/small game license always gets reprinted on the middle of the 3 pieces that make up the tag each time you get another tag. They even printed it out on my state park pass receipt. Its convenient in that I can keep my original one with my fishing gear and I have the small game tag along on my hunts automatically.

In a separate envelope?

Thanks, Laelkhunter! Unfortunately, the “F” in EF003O4R means it’s a cow tag. I’m a meat hunter, so I’d rather shoot big middle-aged cow than a bull!

Regards,
Scott

OOOPS !! Didn't catch that !! I'm not familiar with the draw codes. I have always purchased the OTC Bull tag. I hunt 78/81. Well, best of luck for a big tender, juicy cow then !!

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
No, I didn't realize you meant an entire separate license. I was talking about with a normal big game license there are 3 portions to it and if you look at the middle section your fishing/small game license is reprinted there each time.

Gotcha, my first thought before opening envelope number two was, "Oh they had the leftover draw and I drew a leftover Elk license".

Davebuech

WKR
I got duplicate licenses sent for 4th season elk also, although a different area than the OP. Wonder if it's only 4th season elk tags that got messed up, how many have gone out and how many will be returned?