Ambitious elk hunt/family vacation- 2019

I am trying to put together a family vacation/archery elk hunt next fall. I am worried I might be trying to fit too much into a trip and don't want to ruin it all the way around.

It would be an extended family vacation with 8 adults and 6 kids under 8 years old. Up to 2 weeks off at a time.
3 of the men are interested in archery hunting elk and the 4th would probably tag along.

My wife and I took a Colorado vacation 2 years ago and she brings it up at least once a week. She wants to get back there so bad and spend some time in the mountains. By the time of the trip we will have a 2+year old and a 4-6 month old. We would love to be able to work in some sort of hunt by ourselves but it just isn't possible. We thoughts we could spend a few days camping on our own before meeting the rest of the family in a rented cabin.

If we were in a cabin for 10 days we could hunt the best days and spend the other days taking day trips with the family. I think the wives and the kids really would enjoy waking up in a beautiful place and having the time together around the cabin. I don't want them to feel like they have been dumped and in a cabin to watch the kids. I want them to be able to enjoy their time, wherever we decide to go.

The guys in this group did a rifle hunt in Colorado last year and we hunted pretty hard. We were up well before light and didn't get back until it was hours past dark. We would obviously want to hunt the same way but would now need to add in a drive to and from the hunting grounds. I am worried this kind of trip has the potential for everyone to feel short changed. With limited funds, vacation time and young children we need to be smart about how we use our resources which is why it would be nice to mix family vacation and hunting.

Has anyone done this kind of thing successfully?

I think you could do it if you found a place that had day activities for the wives and kids as well as places to day hunt elk. Find a lodge with some sort of fishing nearby that has horseback trips, maybe a lake and some easy trails for the kids. Then you can plan day hunts from there. As long as the wives know going in what is going on and they agree I don't think it would be an issue.

KSP277

WKR
I am trying to put together a family vacation/archery elk hunt next fall. I am worried I might be trying to fit too much into a trip and don't want to ruin it all the way around.

It would be an extended family vacation with 8 adults and 6 kids under 8 years old. Up to 2 weeks off at a time.
3 of the men are interested in archery hunting elk and the 4th would probably tag along.

My wife and I took a Colorado vacation 2 years ago and she brings it up at least once a week. She wants to get back there so bad and spend some time in the mountains. By the time of the trip we will have a 2+year old and a 4-6 month old. We would love to be able to work in some sort of hunt by ourselves but it just isn't possible. We thoughts we could spend a few days camping on our own before meeting the rest of the family in a rented cabin.

If we were in a cabin for 10 days we could hunt the best days and spend the other days taking day trips with the family. I think the wives and the kids really would enjoy waking up in a beautiful place and having the time together around the cabin. I don't want them to feel like they have been dumped and in a cabin to watch the kids. I want them to be able to enjoy their time, wherever we decide to go.

The guys in this group did a rifle hunt in Colorado last year and we hunted pretty hard. We were up well before light and didn't get back until it was hours past dark. We would obviously want to hunt the same way but would now need to add in a drive to and from the hunting grounds. I am worried this kind of trip has the potential for everyone to feel short changed. With limited funds, vacation time and young children we need to be smart about how we use our resources which is why it would be nice to mix family vacation and hunting.

Has anyone done this kind of thing successfully?

If you can pull this off and nobody leaves divorced or angry you should be working for NATO making international deals.

Poser

WKR
If you can pull this off and nobody leaves divorced or angry you should be working for NATO making international deals.

^ this. The moment your “family vacation” is unearthed as really being “daddy’s hunting trip”, the family will turn on you. The whole trip is going to have to “feel” or be perceived as a “vacation” with you getting a little hunting in here and there. Kind of like you might get a little fishing in here and there. If your mind and emotional resources are focused on hunting, it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Btaylor

WKR
Wife and I are going out on Aug 17 for vacation. Her flight home is 6am opening morning and I am staying and hunting opening week. But we only have one to fly not multiple so that might be a deal breaker for you.

I don’t see it going well honestly, but I don’t know your wife. Mine is fine with me hunting and fishing as much as I want when we’re at home, but her idea of “fishing” while on vacation is one day for 3-4 hours. An afternoon upland bird hunt would be no big deal, but unless you’re staying where elk are off the doorstep and hunt from sunrise-9 am every day, then be back with the family, it has the potential to ruin the trip. Staying after the family goes home is the best option IMO.

I have a two year old and a four month old right now, last year we did 3 weeks in September in Utah Wyoming and Idaho, my first day in Utah was the last day of the archery elk season I didn't buy a tag myself but I tagged along with a buddy, we landed at 11 pm dropped them off at the hotel by 1230 and was on the mountain by 3. did a ton of walking saw some mule deer and one cow but that's besides the point, the rest of the trip there wasn't one day that passed where she mentioned well you got to do your hunting, you can see where im going with this... I will never try to combine something like that again. fishing is another story, every morning id fish from 430-9 and be back when everyone was just waking up and there were no issues at all with that. we have done a few trips since that ive got to fish in the AM and am back when the kids wake up and eat breakfast with them. hunting at home is one thing I can sit in a stand in the afternoon for two hours after work, or even going away im doing a 2 week archery elk in Idaho this year which shes perfectly fine with. I wont combine a hunting trip with a family trip again until the kids are old enough to tag along, if the kids say mom we want to go hunting with dad she cant say no...

KSP277

WKR
You gonna try it or no? If you do, I request a thread with daily updates. Also maybe a side pot to place bets as to when full blown mutiny occurs.

I would drive out with the hunters and have the wife and kids fly out after the hunt. It's only two airline tickets (under 2 years is a lap infant) and no one gets hurt feelings.

The other hunters could get dropped off at the airport when you pick up your family, or they could make their own plans.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
As long as the wives know going in what is going on and they agree I don't think it would be an issue.
^ this. I know for my wife this would probably be a no. If for some reason I could work some magic and pay if forward with family time so she would agree to it, I would still set my expectations to a day or two. All it would take is one day of the kids acting up for the mood to go quick and the tides turn then you'd better not go back out.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Circle K Ranch in Southern Colorado, although the fires may ruin it this year. I haven't used but know some who have and were happy.

If I left the family to go hunt while on a vacation like that, I might as well not plan on ever going back home. Your wife may be a lot more understanding than most, but I’ll venture to guess that no matter how cool she is you’ll be tip toeing on a very thin line between family vacation and family explosion.

Brianr

FNG
Definitely a bad idea. I’ve tried combining family vacation and scouting trips and even that didn’t work out well.