Liver Recipe

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Just pulled the liver out of the freezer and am in need of advice on how to perpare it - its my first elk liver!

Wave a magic wand over it and turn it into deer liver. Not sure why deer is so much better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Have you tried the cedar plank recipe? Soak a cedar board in water for ten minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place salted liver (you can add onions) on plank, and place on center rack of oven for 30 minutes. When 30 minutes is up, remove board from oven and let cool. Scrape the frigging liver into the trash and eat the board.....

desertcj

WKR
I gave my Hispanic buddy some deer liver and he said he chopped it up fine and pan fried it, used it in tacos
Might be worth a shot? Pretty sure most things are edible with grilled onions, cilantro, salsa and avacado on top though!

OP
johnhenry

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for all the advice. I'll keep my expectations low and my onion use high.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Fresh elk liver was always a delicacy we looked forward to in camp. We'd soak it in salt water overnight, then slice it thin and fry it with onions in bacon grease and butter. But hunting solo most the time these days and using the gutless method, I rarely ever go in after the liver and heart.

But ya........frozen? I wouldn't bother.

Wapiti1

WKR
My preferred method.

Slice about 1/2-3/4" thick, salt water soak overnight, or vinegar soak. Rinse and pat dry. Liberally sprinkle the liver with black pepper and garlic powder. Couple pats of butter in bottom of shallow baking dish, layer of onions, layer of liver, layer of onions, layer of liver, more onions, top with strips of bacon. Bake 15-30 mins at 350 covered. Uncover, bake about 10 minutes more to give the bacon a little crisp. Adjust times based on how many layers you put in. I like the liver to still be slightly pink to brown when done, and not grey. There is no fat in there and it will dry out quickly.

Goes great with fresh sliced garden tomatoes and cucumbers.

Jeremy

OP
johnhenry

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Wonder if brown trout like the stuff. Not many catfish in these parts.
Going to give it a try tonight but sounds like the dog is going to get most of it.
Again thanks.

Btaylor

WKR
Wonder if brown trout like the stuff. Not many catfish in these parts.
Going to give it a try tonight but sounds like the dog is going to get most of it.
Again thanks.

If you cut it in small strips to look like a leach, a brown trout might hit it. Probably should set the hook quick though before he spits it out too.

If you like beef liver and can eat them from older animals then liver from a bigger/older elk should be fine. I almost always take the liver and heart and do admit that I eat them fresh. Frozen beef liver isn't as good as fresh but it still is good. I usually soak the heart in salt water but the liver goes into a little bowl of milk to soak a bit before cooking. Then it gets fried in a little bit of bacon grease or olive oil if I'm out in the field. After I turn it, I add some stewed tomatoes and season it.
Remember to take the skin off and the lobes as well. This helps with the texture as well as the flavor. Hope you enjoy it!

TauPhi111

WKR
Meateater has a liver pate recipe that looks intriging if you're into that, but otherwise here's my recipe...

Cube the liver up into 1 inch cubes
pack it in garlic salt in a mason jar
let it sit in the fridge for 1 week minimum,
use the liver chunks to catch catfish
eat the catfish

seriously...heading down to norris lake this weekend with a jar full of deer liver chunks. hopefully coming back with a fish fry worth of catfish

Slice it about 1/2 inch thick, then soak overnight in ice water. Next day remove the slices from the water and drain on paper towels to get it as dry as possible. Dip the liver in lemon juice, then put it in a plate covering with flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Fry the slices in bacon grease (or your fav oil), and serve hot with smothered onions. I usually take great care to trim it well, removing the outer grey membrane from each slice before soaking in the ice water.

Rick

FNG
I normally slice, dry, drag in flour and fry. Any of the slice thin and fry recipes are great. I prefer elk liver over deer but either one is infinitely better then anything from the store. Beef liver = yuck!

Garlic rosemary liver pate made with bacon grease instead of butter.

Slice liver into 3/4" strips. Soak in milk overnight. Fry a pound of bacon. Save and cool grease. Transfer cool grease to food processor. Rinse and dry liver. Season with salt and pepper. Fry liver in same pan. Add one minced onion. Transfer liver and onion to food processor. Add rosemary, garlic, and any bacon that hasn't already been eaten. Puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Portion into 1 cup freezer safe containers.

Serve with crackers or on toasted English muffins for breakfast.

OP
johnhenry

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Cut up into big bite size pieces, put on a 4/0 circle hook and catch catfish, eat the catfish.

Fried it up with onions and gave it a try. Can't believe that a catfish would touch the stuff.