Biologist Contact

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone please let me know how to find the contact information for the wildlife biologist in Colorado for the area I will be hunting? I think I found the correct name based on a google scavenger hunt, but I would like to verify it with something more official and then also have a phone number and email to use.

I am coming from Wisconsin for my first Elk hunt in Unit 33/23/24 and would like to bounce my plan (hunting spots, parking spots, and road access) off of the local biologist.

I apologize for the question, I am sure this question has been asked and answered multiple times on different threads, but I was not able to pick it out based on my search criteria and results.

thanks in advance!

swampokie

WKR
Good luck. Ive called the conservation officer twice this week and left a message. No return call. They wont supply biologist numbers only game warden numbers. I understand they are off the grid a lot but its hard to get thru or get a return call in my experience

I have had luck getting their email address and sending specific questions about the area I was hunting. I have left my number in emails and had them call me...usually a 5-10 days later. Game wardens and Forest service guys have go intel on an area as well...

SWOHTR

WKR
Start here....find the district/region/units you plan on hunting....call and ask for the name and number of the biologist....will likely have to leave a message and wait for them to call you back several days later.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Contact Us

Yep, this. Call a regional office and ask to be transferred to a biologist. Try mornings and evenings and fridays - times most likely in office.

I’ve had success cold calling this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
One thing I will strongly advice is have some good questions prepped ahead of time. Don't expect them to tell you exactly where to go and what to do. Remember they get lots of calls like this every year and can't just "hot spot" an area to death.

Brendan

WKR
One thing I will strongly advice is have some good questions prepped ahead of time. Don't expect them to tell you exactly where to go and what to do. Remember they get lots of calls like this every year and can't just "hot spot" an area to death.

Actually - I've heard stories where they sent everyone who called and asked for a spot to the exact same trailhead. Very good reason to NOT ask for spots from anyone, but ask questions on things like specific open or closed forest roads (not biologist), herd health, herd travel patterns in a unit, predators, water, fire, burns, beetle kill, etc.

OP
Stilpr

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Brendan, who/what office would be the best contact for open/closed forest roads? start with the main contact number for that particular forest or wilderness area?

Brendan

WKR
Brendan, who/what office would be the best contact for open/closed forest roads? start with the main contact number for that particular forest or wilderness area?

Wasn't the Biologist. I just called the local office / local ranger district and told them I had questions on specific forest roads and whether or not they're open or closed, gated, etc. They connected me with someone in that office who could answer. Be ready to be specific with road numbers, directions and a list of questions.