How many of you believe the 80/20 rule?

Bulldawg

WKR
How many of you guys would believe the logic that 20% of the hunters out there kill 80% of the elk on any given hunting season?

I know it's an idea that has been tossed around just like in business where 20% clients are responsible for 80% of your sales and 20% are responsible for 80% of your headaches.

I've heard people say its more 90/10 for hunting, but I would definitely believe a 80/20 rule.

What are your thoughts?

mt100gr.

WKR
Of the first 10 hunters/friends that come to mind there are 2 or 3 that always fill their tag.

I lean towards the 90/10. How many elk tags are purchased in a single season in the US? I’ll bet 10-20% if that would be a scary number for any conservationist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
The 80/20 rule pans out on a lot of things in life .

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
I've always heard that when you want to get something done...…
call on STP.

The Same Ten People!

So I agree that it is at best 80/20 and more likely 90/10.

ckleeves

WKR
I don’t knows if it’s quite a simple 80/20 or 90/10 split. You have the guys that kill an elk every single year pretty much without fail. Fairly small group % wise vs # of tags sold.

Then you have the 1 kill out of 3 tags guys and I think quite a few guys fall into that category.

Then there is the guys that buy a tag and hunt a few days more or less to get out of the house with very little success.

The 90/10 split doesn’t add up just because odds hover around 10% for success on many otc elk hunts so if you don’t fall into the killer category that means everyone else only has a 1-2% chance at success. (If my math is right lol)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have never heard the 80/20 in regards to hunting but hear the 90/10 rule all the time. But there are many variables involved as well. I know several guys that will eat their tag before shooting anything other than a 6-point. I don't have a hard fast rule quite like that (I'm more overall experience oriented), but I pass up legal bulls every single year........even if it means eating my tag.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
I believe in it whether it be 80/20 or 90/10, but when you look at it that way, with an average success in OTC unit being 14%, that would leave the the remaining 80-90% with odds of between 3-4% success on any given year. Pretty steep when you stop and think about it!

tttoadman

WKR
We will burn buck tags, so I see how that screws up stats. We won't generally pass up legal bulls other than yearlings. We feel good if we average better than 50%. We hunt a lot of OTC on OR so we are pretty damn happy with 50%.

BradNSW

FNG
Holds true for in my OTC deer area in SOCAL. It's historically a 15-18% success rate and I've tagged 7 deer in 5 years.:)

BUT Also holds in the OTC Elk unit I've been archery hunting in Idaho for three years...I'm 0 for 3, so one of the 90%:mad: I've been close but it's tough with a bow when they hold behind a tree at 30yds, then spook (last year) or wind you, just as you come to full draw at 40yds (year before), or sneak up behind you to 10yds, then bolt (first year).

Starting to learn the in/outs of the Idaho unit so maybe this year I'll join the 10% club.

cwegga

FNG
I'm sure it is some ratio like that. The successful hunters I know are mostly regularly successful. The others regularly unsuccessful. And don't forget all the people with tags that don't actually hunt or put in effort. I mostly hunt mule deer, but I buy a tag every year for the couple of days I will hunt with people chasing elk. I don't really expect to get one with that level of effort, but it's about spending time with them and I know how many elk I'll run into if I don't have a tag. I'm counted in the statistics as an "elk hunter."

How many of you guys would believe the logic that 20% of the hunters out there kill 80% of the elk on any given hunting season?

I know it's an idea that has been tossed around just like in business where 20% clients are responsible for 80% of your sales and 20% are responsible for 80% of your headaches.

I've heard people say its more 90/10 for hunting, but I would definitely believe a 80/20 rule.

What are your thoughts?

It rings true, but for me is not really actionable information. Whether my odds of success are actually 10% or much lower I'm still going to bust my balls and do my best. I guess somebody that needs to tell themselves a story about why they weren't successful might find solace there but I'm trying to be in that small successful group regardless of how small it is.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Pareto principle. Been around since the 1890s.

Seems to hold true in a lot of aspects. I work on lean six sigma projects at work and a lot of the time, 80% of the problems can normally be traced back to 20% of the causes.
20% of salesmen make 80% of the sales.
You will spend 80% of your time on 20% of your employees.

Of course with any principle/rule, there are plenty of exceptions.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I believe in the 90/10 rule. My experience has proven it to be true, as well. 90% of the game lives on 10% of the property.

100 guys buy archery tags, 10 shouldn’t even be out in the woods, 80 of them are simply walkers, 9 might see an elk and get a shot, 1 is a killer.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
The number of hunters that are not serious or do not work very hard skew these numbers I believe. If there was a way to measure hunters that put forth better than average effort the numbers would be different. As others posted this 80/20 or 90/10 principal applies to many areas of life. For example-90 people of the general population only use 10% off their brains. Come to think of it I'll have to change that and say 98% only use 2% of their brains. If you doubt this just watch other drivers in your daily commute:)

rayporter

WKR
lets see, I have taken 14 people elk hunting and 2 have killed.

I know they were into game cause I packed out something most every time.

KSP277

WKR
100% = percent chances of me going into the woods.
0% = percents of F’s I give about stats.