DIY Alberta Hunt

Has anyone from the States gone to Alberta with a host hunter? Obviously it might be a challenge finding someone willing to do that, since I don't know anyone in AB that hunts, so that presents a challenge, but otherwise, is there enough land open to alien hunters to make it worth the trip? It's about as far for me as CO or MT and the fees don't seem that bad.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I think NR in Alberta need a guide or outfitter if my memory is correct. but may depend on species.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
Boxerboxer
I think NR in Alberta need a guide or outfitter if my memory is correct. but may depend on species.

NR Aliens need either a guide or what they call a "host hunter". You can only go with a host Hunter every third year and the host Hunter has to get a host hunter license with your name on it in August in advance of you purchasing your tag. Up to two people can go with the host hunter if at least one is related to the host. Host Hunter has to accompany his guests the whole time they're hunting. They cannot accept any form of compensation for their role as host hunter. There are also some restrictions on what you can hunt with just a host hunter and on the number of different tags you can buy, though nothing to onerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider

"host hunter" might help if I read the whole thing. I worked around Hinton, AB for a few months. I Did not have a chance to hunt, but tons of huntable crown land. Lots of ATV traffic were allowed. But tons of wildlife, saw elk, moose, deer, sheep, bears, grouse. Probably wouldn't be to hard to get away from people...if you can find a host.

ozyclint

WKR
i'm hunting AB under the host system in sept for bear. fairly straight forward system. i have 2x bear tags and wolf/coyote tag. there are other species available too.
total cost for necessary licenses etc for bear and wolf/coyote was CAD$210. it would be less if you rifle hunted as you wouldn't need the bowhunting permit.

OP
Boxerboxer
i'm hunting AB under the host system in sept for bear. fairly straight forward system. i have 2x bear tags and wolf/coyote tag. there are other species available too.
total cost for necessary licenses etc for bear and wolf/coyote was CAD$210. it would be less if you rifle hunted as you wouldn't need the bowhunting permit.

Thanks. I'll keep the idea on the back burner til I meet the right Canuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk