Go Deep boys, Go Deep...

cnelk

WKR
It’s great to read all the posts about how everyone is going deep to hunt elk this year.

I went up to my haunts the other day and the elk are still right next to the road, where I left them last fall.

This pic was taken in a popular OTC unit, in a spot many drive right on past.

Go deep - please. :)

Attachments

• BDA9B15C-6BF0-47F6-9868-51D80A778765.jpg
    BDA9B15C-6BF0-47F6-9868-51D80A778765.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 726

muddydogs

WKR
Well don't advertise it. Let the road hunter road hunt and the think they need to go deep guys go deep and you and I will hunt the inbetween.

Beendare

WKR
Too funny Brad.

I was in a cast, broken ankle one year...and we were in a certain CO otc unit that we had hunted as far as 10 mi in from a TH the previous years.

i was hunting a spot within 400yds of a road guys were driving by me for miles to get to the end of the road and start hunting- including my buddy. I shot a small 5 point that year. An elk pocket is a pocket...no matter where you find it; 8 miles in or just off the road.

elkguide

WKR
It’s great to read all the posts about how everyone is going deep to hunt elk this year.

I went up to my haunts the other day and the elk are still right next to the road, where I left them last fall.

This pic was taken in a popular OTC unit, in a spot many drive right on past.

Go deep - please. :)

I hope that you are at least going to get out of the truck to shoot.

Thanks for the reminder cnelk. I was just thinking this morning about my planned 7 mile hike to a hunting area.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Another pic, same morning, taken from the window of my truck. Different OTC unit :)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 333

bozeman

WKR
From an out of state point of view- this is difficult for me to grasp. If a whitetail is near a road in AL, it’s getting shot at from the road. Also- gettting ‘back deep’ in the country and seeing the terrain is just as enjoyable to me as shooting an elk. Wish you all the best this year, hopefully I will draw again next year!

CX5Ranch

WKR
My first elk fell 3/8 of a mile off an extremely well used ATV trail. I worked 2 bulls across the same trail the next year. But for me....I like to pack in deep and see how tough I am. Or is it how tough I think I am?

Gotta love this type of post on a hardcore western hunting forum. What ever floats your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bwlacy

WKR
I'm not that proud to have to pack in. I've done it, enjoy it, and plan on doing it this year. But if I could shoot one 1/4 mile from the truck I would! I've never shot one and this will be my second try, I'll take anything :)

Sled

WKR
when hunting, all miles aren't created equal. i'll take a 10 mile walk through the woods over a 1 mile sufferfest in the steep and deep. too bad i usually take my elk in the steep and deep. i still won't take one deeper than than i'm willing to pack out. i hunt solo so that is a bit limiting.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
My first bull a friend had taken me around a mountain so far I had no clue we were above a main paved road when we got a response. After hiking miles and miles we went back to the truck drove around to where we heard the response. We had a great pissing contest for a half an hour before he stepped out and gave me a shot about 200 yards off a paved road.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I’m not saying NOT to go deep.
Hell, I was going deep before it was cool.

I’ve found that since 2009, ‘deep’ was getting crowded so I’ve adjusted my tactics.

Remember, Father Time is undefeated and sooner or later that ‘S’ on the chest is gonna fade and slip :)
And when it does, there are elk to had closer than ‘deep’

Good Luck in however you hunt