How many archery hunters hunt during ML season in Colorado?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always pay attention to these types of posts that end up being a Archery vs. ML thing. I can totally understand promoting and lobbying for where your interested lie... in this case bow hunting.

I took my daughter ML hunting last year because of where the season lies........during the rut. Because I'm a bugler......plain and simple. I love that interaction and she had a blast experiencing all that as well. However, I can honestly say that in the last 12 years I have never seen or run into a ML hunter that actually calls, or hunts the rut the way most bowhunters do. I'm sure there are some that do, I just haven't run into any out there. In every single case they have been set up somewhere over water, a meadow, an opening, a trail, or otherwise and hunt it like it's rifle season. So that's all I have to go off of. Well that........and the fact that I've had 5 different ML hunters shoot bulls out from under me that I was working, since 2010.

But I will admit, if there's ever a day where I can't shoot a bow anymore.......I'll be picking up a ML tag, just because of where the season lies.

But I will admit, if there's ever a day where I can't shoot a bow anymore.......I'll be picking up a ML tag, just because of where the season lies.[/QUOTE]

And that is the rub for most of us. It's just getting crowded in places and I don't blame ML guys for not putting in. It's the second best season, first being 1st rifle if you really want to shoot a nice bull with a firearm.

The CBA did provide feedback on the ML fatality a couple years ago. It was very political from what I hear and I'm not sure what the final outcome will be. The so called quiet time in Colorado is getting encroached on in several units, why not just make it a ML season?

In the end, it's a complex issue and we as archers have it pretty damn good right now. But, we've lost, and continue to lose alot of our quiet time and it's getting old.

rokclmb

FNG
We went archery hunting during CO ML season last year for the first time(Typically go first 2 weeks when we haven't hardly ever seen other hunters). OTC Archery, several miles in from TH. We only heard maybe two shots the first several days but we did run into several ML guys while out. And they weren't on main trails, etc. We got to talking to each one we met and discovered each was part of a larger group that were all ML hunting. That's all they do and only draw the tag every few years. Didn't really bother us, though they were hunting areas we usually concentrate on.

I'd be comfortable going back 3rd week again knowing what I know now. Those guys won't be back for a few years and I'd guess we won't see more than we did otherwise. We were really skeptical about going during this time but feel fine about it now. May even grab our own ML tag next year with points we've built for no particular reason.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I think my answer to the OPs question was misunderstood.

I said most I see are stacked up around trailheads. Just like any other season. That is a true statement. Just like most of the bowhunters I see as well as rifle hunters. Most are within a very short distance of the TH.

I meant no disrespect to anyone. Matter of fact I don't really care who goes elk hunting. I think it is a great experience for anyone.