How many archery hunters hunt during ML season in Colorado?

geriggs

WKR
Usually hunt colorado prior to ML gets in there and have had decent success but was hoping to get into a little more bugling action closer to peak rut. Just curious how many stay away from ML season and who doesnt give a damn and just goes. thanks

sharpbb14

FNG
It varies but last year it seemed there was an orange vest around every bend. I was archery hunting, and ML hunters messed up 2 of my opportunities. 1 was not their fault. I had a bull at 40yrds on the other side of a scrub oak waiting for it to pass by and they happened to have a cow in range at the same time and coincidentally shot at that moment, which spooked the bull, (they ended up missing). 2 days later a couple of muzzleloaders were approaching a herd that I was hunting and they approached from up wind, spooking the herd out of the area. Just not using their brains. But, that's hunting on public land.

CX5Ranch

WKR
They don't bother me. My experience is most of them are bunched up within 500 yards of the trailhead. Just like any other season.

You're going to get mixed reviews on this. Some areas are horrible, others no so bad. One of the areas I hunt is littered with them and it's not next to the road.

There are some pretty serious ML guys and they knock them down. In the areas I hunt there is a huge difference pre vs post ML from the body counts we find, to how the elk act.

Good Luck

GPool1842

WKR
Curious as well.. looking into getting in there last two days of ML and hunting the following week (last) in CO.

cnelk

WKR
Look at the stats and see how many ML tags are issued for your unit is a good place to start.

Regardless, I think you're going to see more people the last week of archery due to the fact most want to hear bugles

11boo

WKR
I hunt the whole season. I do wear some orange while the cannon cockers are out and about, since this happened. I met this kid, his dad and uncle a couple days before he was shot. Really a nice young man, killed by a pos RIGHT AT THE EDGE OF THE NF CAMPGROUND.

Justin Burns, of Palisade, died of a gunshot wound to his chest at Big Creek Reservoir in the Uncompahgre National Forest, the county coroner’s office said. Justin was bow hunting with his father when he was shot, the sheriff’s office said.

Benjamin said the U.S. Forest Service is assisting in the investigation.

Justin’s death has been ruled a homicide.

“The shooter is and has been in contact with investigators,” Benjamin said.

fishslap

WKR
I was one of the "cannon cocking" vermin "littering" our public grounds with my presence last year. I hunted anywhere from 2 miles to 6 miles from the trailhead. I only saw one other muzzleloader camp about 3-4 miles in at my first location. Ran into two bowhunters each at the nearest and farthest points. The guys 6 miles in were over calling a nearby herd (one guy on either side of the timber they were in) so I backed out. There were two guys also overcalling a herd in the closer area that caused the elk to move into a deep timbered drainage. I picked off a smaller lone bull that wasn't as pressured about 2.5 miles in. I ran into two guys bowhunting a draw unit with over the counter tags so you have to contend with those guys if you're hunting a draw unit with either a muzzleloader or bow.

fishslap

WKR
Obviously “cannon cocker” is a trigger word.

Not really. I was planning on replying to this post anyway since last year was the first year I hunted elk with a muzzleloader and I ran into guys hunting with bows (who also had a guy in camp hunting with a muzzleloader by the way). I thought I could share some perspective. I will say that I don't understand some of the name calling and hyperbole around this subject. I identify as a hunter and don't generally subscribe to other labels.

Bear hunters are pretty much a non-issue in most areas, but they are around but they're hunting bears. ML season falls flat into one of the best times to hunt elk. I've vented about ML seasons in past but Colorado's archery seasons have been invaded and taken over by "Cannon Cockers" for decades. Have fun, enjoy what's left of it.

11boo

WKR
Last night of muzzle will sound like a regular rifle season. They seem to all shoot their load to empty their guns when they get back to camp.
I suppose that is their way of saying goodbye.

I can't wait for the day when the bowhunters gripe so much about the "cannon cockers" that we end up getting the last two weeks of September all to ourselves

cnelk

WKR
I can't wait for the day when the bowhunters gripe so much about the "cannon cockers" that we end up getting the last two weeks of September all to ourselves

And you think spots are crowded now?
Having everyone archery hunting in a 2 week timeline will only make it worse

I'm just saying that is whats going to happen. CPW straight said it to the CBA when they have brought up muzzleloaders during "their season". Probably why CBA dropped the issue.