To Do and Not To Do Suggestions!

mproberts

WKR
All of this is spot on. The biggest thing i want to stress is to be in shape. The only thing I can add is keep the camera handy. Hunters are focused so much that cameras and those captured memories sometimes take a back seat. People will love having you there and the photos or videos that you can share later. The next hunt someone may be glassing and catching pics of your hunt.

This.. if you have something else you are good at or passionate about try to unobtrusively add that to the experience for everyone else. Some of my favorite hunting buddies aren't the best hunters (still learning) but they make up for it with other skills. For some it's photography and others it's cooking and some guys just have amazing stories to share... but having awesome pictures to share later and great meals and stories in camp is a huge plus in my book. Honestly I'm probably doing myself a disservice by not soaking up more of their skills why on the hunt, because I know they are soaking up hunting skills.

Besides that I will just echo what others have said, be in shape, be positive, break in your boots before the hunt and listen to what others with experience say. I can't tell you how many times I've taken guys that can't be quiet or walk quietly. I normally only tell a guy 2-3 times if they are being too loud or walking too loud, after that I don't say a thing because I assume they just don't get it and I don't want to seem like an ahole.. but seriously pick your damn feet up Drew.. how can you walk through the woods dragging your boots like you are paralyzed from the waist down?! I swear... deep breaths.. deep breaths... calm down.. it's okay.. haha

Primarily ask questions at camp or during breaks.
When you walk out of camp, you are hunting, speak softly.
Pay close attention to how your buddy is moving and mimic, when it is sneak time dont be tromping.
Observe and listen, to the guys and the mountain.
Take cookies, everyone loves cookies.

Not an Elk hunter per se (although going on my first one this October in New Mexico) but cookies....YAAASSSS! I have learned more over an opened pack of double stuff oreos than I have ever read in books :D