To Do and Not To Do Suggestions!

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
A friend invited me to join his hunting buddies on a hunt to gain experience. The group of guys have worked hard scouting and preparing for this hunt. We will have a base camp and I will join them half way through the trip. 4-5 day for me.
1. How can I contribute to the group in the best way possible? Around camp and while out hunting?
2. What are some "Don't Do!" items?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My best advice, read a ton of the forums on elk hunting... read the articles by rokslide on elk hunting, and don’t skimp on gear. Get good boots. You don’t wanna be the guy with huge blisters that can’t leave camp.

Btaylor

WKR
Primarily ask questions at camp or during breaks.
When you walk out of camp, you are hunting, speak softly.
Pay close attention to how your buddy is moving and mimic, when it is sneak time dont be tromping.
Observe and listen, to the guys and the mountain.
Take cookies, everyone loves cookies.

+1 get good boots. Also pack rain gear. Borrow glass or have your own so you can provide value as a spotter.

Move quietly and behind the shooter and defer to the shooter on where and when to go, but be thinking about where you would go and be willing to share your suggestions. Don't talk loudly at any time because it can spook game or at least don't talk any louder than the shooter.

rlmmarine

WKR
Go and enjoy yourself try not to be a "sponge" and bring as much of your own gear as you can. Bring a hot meal into camp for everyone. And learn from everyone that offers advice. When everyone leaves and thinks back on the trip you want to be the guy they said man he was great he helped in "x" amount of ways and they want to have you come back. Please don't be that guy they say man what a mistake of bringing him. Look at the trip as a go and learn so you can come back again. Not I want to kill something and make an ass of yourself.
I've invited people into our camp that were absolutely great and I'd hunt anyware with them, then I've hunted with others, oh the others, I immediately deleted their phone numbers.

eric1115

WKR
Good boots as mentioned, and see what you can come up with for a backpack. If you can carry spotter, tripod, whatever in and help pack meat out, you're definitely on your way to being a net help. Be in as good of shape as you can.

Bring decent binos at least. You will get 10x more out of the hunt if you can watch through 10x binos. Don't be afraid to ask for a look through someone's spotting scope if you don't have one, but try to do that sparingly.

Be quiet and still. Be very careful about skylining yourself (you don't have to be on the tippy top of a ridge to be skylined).

Do the dishes. Get and filter water.

Don't whine. There is a balance here. If your feet are blistered and you don't ask for help because you don't want to be a whiner, you might end up needing a lot more help than if you had said something and gotten some moleskin.

Have fun! There's a balance to all of it. You're not a Butler and Sherpa, so don't feel obligated to do all the chores. Ask questions, but pay attention to how much and when your friends are chatting to know when to ask.

Take a turn coming in an hour early one day and have a hot meal and a cold beverage ready for the hunters when they get back (chili and cornbread or stew and biscuits always brings a big grin from folks).

Bring a pack to help haul meat when the time comes, and competent gear so you are at least an equal to the group, hopefully an asset.

Take an extra turn fetching water/wood for the good of the camp.

Like others have mentioned, stay a few steps behind when hunting and pay attention to what they are doing.

DON'T bring a group of different friends into "their" spot in coming years or tell everybody and their dog (or post telling FB photos) where the critters they've worked hard to scout and prepare for are.

You will be the newbie for a couple of years, respect their seasons of efforts, and the annual pint entry fee per member will eventually go away....

eric1115

WKR
+1 get good boots. Also pack rain gear. Borrow glass or have your own so you can provide value as a spotter.

Move quietly and behind the shooter and defer to the shooter on where and when to go, but be thinking about where you would go and be willing to share your suggestions. Don't talk loudly at any time because it can spook game or at least don't talk any louder than the shooter.

Yes, rain gear. Also, make sure you bring enough food for yourself and ideally some to share.

**Cardinal rule** - do not, under any circumstances, tell about their hunting spot. If there's any surefire way to get uninvited, it's to post photos, chat with the gas station dude, or whatever else and give locations. "Oh yeah, we saw a few monster bulls up Fish Creek."

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I would say be in equal or better physical shape as your group so you will not be holding anyone up and ready to go wherever the guys you're with want to go. If you do that and can carry meat out if/when the time comes, you should be good. Also make sure to be positive. Goes without saying but it really stinks when there are Debbie downers in the group.

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest thing in my opinion is have a happy positive attitude. I'll tolerate a lot of rookie mistakes from a guy that is up-beat and positive. I'll also be much more willing to do anything I can to help from gear to information. Don't be the negative complaining guy. NO one likes that guy.

This is a darn good list. Follow these suggestions and guys will want you around. I always run off the people I invite to go hunting because of brutal hiking jaunts to get to the animals in my unit. Probably common for Roksliders. You just don't know if you really want to do that until you're huffing and puffing.

CX5Ranch

WKR
Be in as good of shape as the top guy. If you see somebody doing a chore, help. Ask questions if you don't know something. When the alarm goes off get up

11boo

WKR
Whoever is providing the tent will very much appreciate you helping with the back end of the hunt. Often they need set up at home for cleaning and drying.

tttoadman

WKR
All of this is spot on. The biggest thing i want to stress is to be in shape. The only thing I can add is keep the camera handy. Hunters are focused so much that cameras and those captured memories sometimes take a back seat. People will love having you there and the photos or videos that you can share later. The next hunt someone may be glassing and catching pics of your hunt.

The biggest things I can think of are to pull you weight around camp, be prepared with your own gear, and being able to keep up.
And no one should ever have to wait for you at any time. Well maybe if nature calls at the wrong time.

FlyGuy

WKR
First off I would try and get a group text started with all the guys going. We have a long running one between the members of our group. Sharing workouts completed, gear purchases, etc. Rarely does an entire day pass without one of us sending something out. This can help you get to know the guys, ask them questions, etc. If any of them live near you then try to meet up with some of them for a beer. Or better yet, a scouting trip to the hunt area.

People like talking about what they are passionate about, especially when someone shows genuine interest. These guy's wives and coworkers are probably sick of hearing about it, so you can soak in a lot of knowledge and bond with them at the same time.

Subscribe to Elk101. That's a requirement now for any new hunter coming with me.

Have them look at your gear list and Make sure you have what you need so that you don't hinder the group (or your buddy's) options.

Not sure if this is September or not, but if so make sure you are shooting your bow often. Get in the best shape you can. And buy a few diaphrams (I like the AMP from Phelps) and a tube (any will work) and learn to call (elknut's app is my favorite). You don't have to know everything or even understand how to put together sequences, but at a minimum know how to make basic cow sounds and location bugles.

Be safe. Don't point a weapon at anyone. Obviously.

Do your own research. Don't just show up with zero plan except to just follow the herd for 5 days. Once you know the unit you'll be in, do your own independent map study (elk101) and mark your own hotspots. Many times guys who have hunted an area for several years will just keep doing the same things over and over even if it's not working. If the elk aren't cooperating, then your fresh set of eyes may be the thing that salvages the trip. And even if it doesn't, it makes you part of the team and not just along for the ride.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

This is all great advise! It definitely brings up some bad memories of fellas I don't hunt with anymore for the reasons mentioned. Don't be THAT guy! It is a privilege to be in their camp. Treat it as such.

rayporter

WKR
camp chores are a biggie. little things help the camp a lot.

bring fresh ice if camped near the road. bring ice anyway in case it is needed to cool game.