OTC ELK Utah vs Colorado vs Anywhere Else

Thomas11

WKR
The season dates for Utah archery sucks in comparison to CO. Also it’s pretty well known that the anybull units there are very tough to find elk much less a decent elk. It’s just too few units to hunt and much less elk there. Yes u found find a hidden gem or if u had local knowledge that’s one thing. But across the board, CO has way more elk, more otc units, and better dates. Seems to me it’s an easy decision

If I want a bull opportunity I go out of state. Last year I was blessed to draw the Ut LE bull tag and had a great hunt. But these are basically once in a life time tags.

If he is in SW Utah, and wanting to hunt there really bad, I suspect he is seeing elk or hearing of elk. If that's the area you are going to hunt, his intel is all you need. If you're going to a different area in Ut, then yea, ask questions, but seems to me he is in the area you will hunt, so his info should be sufficient?

There's no way Ut compares to Co for group hunts.

OP
J

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the good info. I’ll pass it along to my group. Unfortunately I think they are hell bent on Utah any bull.

I would hope they are looking at Zion and not Pine Valley. Zion is mostly private land. There are bulls there but they are hard to come by. I know people that have been hunting it their whole lives and struggle. Archery will be especially hard with the elk not talking. I would never pay non resident prices for an any bull or spike elk tag in UT over CO. In fact I would pay to hunt CO over the $50 tag as a resident in UT.

2blade

WKR
yea, that $50 bucks is a meat tag and to get to learn an area so you're ready when you draw an le tag. at least that's the way I look at it.

OP
J

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
Yes the Zion Unit is the one my buddy is talking about. After researching UT all day and reading the info posted on this thread I’m not excited at all about hunting OTC in UT. If we end up there I’m going the spike only route and hoping to photograph some big bulls in those units.

Thomas11

WKR
If I want a bull opportunity I go out of state. Last year I was blessed to draw the Ut LE bull tag and had a great hunt. But these are basically once in a life time tags.

If he is in SW Utah, and wanting to hunt there really bad, I suspect he is seeing elk or hearing of elk. If that's the area you are going to hunt, his intel is all you need. If you're going to a different area in Ut, then yea, ask questions, but seems to me he is in the area you will hunt, so his info should be sufficient?

There's no way Ut compares to Co for group hunts.

SW Utah has to be the Pine Valley unit. According to the UDWR, there's about 50 to 75 elk on that unit. here

https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/plans/elk_30.pdf

you might want to read that.

lol! What a herd!

I would hope they are looking at Zion and not Pine Valley. Zion is mostly private land. There are bulls there but they are hard to come by. I know people that have been hunting it their whole lives and struggle. Archery will be especially hard with the elk not talking. I would never pay non resident prices for an any bull or spike elk tag in UT over CO. In fact I would pay to hunt CO over the $50 tag as a resident in UT.
I don't know about this, I've been hunting here over a decade and have tagged out on an elk every year in my unit some of those have been cows , which is legal with the archery tag.

I'm sure some units are better than others but I'm also sure there are cows in most every unit that's why I refer to the Utah tag as my meat in the freezer tag for $55 can't beat it

But for Bulls I agree I go out of state unless it's the Utah limited-entry then I'm glad to hunt here

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Given any thought to Idaho? I have a lot of buddies that have decided there is to many hunters in Colorado and have made the switch. I've more or less made the decision to only archery hunt Colorado anymore. I hate dealing with all of the orange. It takes the experience out of it for me.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Yes the Zion Unit is the one my buddy is talking about. After researching UT all day and reading the info posted on this thread I’m not excited at all about hunting OTC in UT. If we end up there I’m going the spike only route and hoping to photograph some big bulls in those units.

Hahahaha. Maybe those that posted first weren’t trolling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha CorbLand, yeah we were trolling.

Let's make a deal that when the next guy asks about Utah OTC elk we only refer him to this thread rather than counter his push back (based on no actual knowledge) that Utah general isn't that bad.

CorbLand

WKR
Haha CorbLand, yeah we were trolling.

Let's make a deal that when the next guy asks about Utah OTC elk we only refer him to this thread rather than counter his push back (based on no actual knowledge) that Utah general isn't that bad.

I wasn’t trolling. I was being serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk