Where did I go wrong suggestions

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread and great info.
I have only two years rifle hunting under my belt and will do an archery cow hunt for the first time this fall.
I appreciate all the advice I recieve here. Thanks

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Tons of good information here I wish I knew when I went on my first elk hunt three seasons ago. If you're finding fresh sign they were that at some point within a day or two. Figuring out when and why they are there is key. To go on a trip like that takes some cojones. Stick with it and you'll find elk. Then you'll get close encounters. Then you'll end up at full draw. Eventually, you'll be tagging out.

How was the hunting pressure?

David,

Pressure wan't bad at all I only saw two hunters the entire time I was out and that was towards the end of my trip when it was getting close to the weekend and they were both using a creek bottom to get to other grounds. Now that I think of that I prob should have been heading that way to as they probably knew something I didn't.

David,

Pressure wan't bad at all I only saw two hunters the entire time I was out and that was towards the end of my trip when it was getting close to the weekend and they were both using a creek bottom to get to other grounds. Now that I think of that I prob should have been heading that way to as they probably knew something I didn't.

Sometimes it just doesn't go your way (until it does). I spent twelve days in a row hunting last year and only saw elk on two of those including the bull I shot. The year before I saw elk for six days straight and had a call in nearly every day but didn't punch my tag. Go back to same area with the knowledge you have with a year under your belt. You're going to love it when a plan comes together.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I'm hoping I can make it out this year. Tough to get away for 8 days and would really like to find a hunting buddy instead of going solo. On the bright side what last year taught me is that I can do this alone.