Using limited draw tag in otc units colorado

TJE1985

FNG
I drew a limited entry archery elk tag in central Colorado. If there was a wildfire or any other reason that I couldn't hunt my unit, could I then use my tag in an OTC unit in a different part of the state? Maybe I missed it in reading through the big game manual. The severe drought conditions in much of the state have me a little concerned about the people and wildlife in the area, so I'm praying for their sake they get the moisture they need.

Thanks

11boo

WKR
I think you can return the tag, save your points and buy an otc. But you have to do it 30 days before the season starts.

I think you can return the tag, save your points and buy an otc. But you have to do it 30 days before the season starts.

Also of note, in the state of Colorado if you return a tag in time you get to keep your points but you don't get an additional point i.e. if you drew the tag with two points then you'll have two points going into next year. Some states, like Arizona, give you an extra point as if you applied for points only. Not so in Colorado.

I can tell you the mountains of CO have been getting rain since the snow stopped. Wet everywhere.