Suggestions on calls

Ryhole

FNG
First year archery hunting and I would like to know everyones preferences on cow calls, bugles etc. Thanks

Wapiti1

WKR
Hate to see you get nothing on this. Do a few searches on the forum. There is a lot of calling info. Pay attention to what Elknut says. Look him up and buy his wares. Fastest way to learning elk vocalizations and strategies for using them. First, don't get a one note wonder like a hootchie mama. Easy to use, but not going to consistently put elk in front of you.

My suggestion it to look at types of calls and pretty much ignore brand. You need, IMO, 2 call types and one tube. One diaphragm, one open reed cow call, along with one bugle tube. The diaphragm is dual purpose and works as your cow call and bugle coupled with the bugle tube. You can also go with a dedicated bugle if you like. I like the ability to mew and bugle with the diaphragm depending on what the bull is doing.

I take two diaphragms, a single reed and a double. They make the same vocalizations, but do it at different pitches making older or younger sounding calls.

Usually, I also have two open reed calls. One wood body, one plastic. Again, different pitches. Open reeds, for me, can go louder, and sometimes you need a loud locating mew to be that lonely cow that needs a friend. They also do nice soft mews, but they require your hands, so as a solo hunter, the diaphragm is a better choice.

Bugle tube can be anything from a piece of corrugated plastic tube (what I have used for 20 years) to a molded plastic bell style. I don't like the rigid long tubes, so I stick with my flexible tube. It's about 18" long. One thing on the flexible, you can direct the sound with it. Tuck it under an arm and direct the sound behind you, to the side, or straight at the bull.

Brand isn't important as far as I am concerned. My diaphragms are purchased based on size that fits my mouth, and number of reeds. Get different sizes and see which are most comfortable for you to use. I've got open reeds from several brands, some small batch, others mass produced. They all work. One is a florescent orange thing that is supposed to be a varmint call, but it happens to make sweet cow talk.

Practice. A lot.

Jeremy

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jeremy provided some good advise. Check out multiple manufacturers and find reeds that fit your palate and ones you can make good elk sounds with. Diaphragms provide more versatility and hands free but for most take a lot of practice. Open reeds are easier but can be fickle if they get too much moisture. Two of the leaders in calls are Phelps and Bugling bull. Good luck and get to practicing👍

I have many diaphragm type calls and suggest these. They require just a little practice, but so do the hand held ones.
I have like all I tried, some make sounds easier. Some get higher tone easier. Some are better for cow sounds.
It really comes down to how well you pick up on the technique.

I like the Phelps they seem to get to the higher tones easier.
But for cow calling I prefer the Rocky Mountain calls.

It is best to buy a couple and learn them, then the following off season try a few more if needed and be prepared next season with what works for you.

I’ve only ever practiced with calls, so take what I say with a grain of salt... you won’t ever get sound out of a call that doesn’t fit. I had great luck with Rocky Mountain calls, and their customer service was absolutely awesome. They answered a lot of my questions, and they offer a good variety of calls, IMO.

Also, apparently your spouse won’t appreciate the constant bugling near as much as you will... weird.

Wapiti1

WKR
My wife isn't a fan either. My dog loves it and howls along with the bugles.

I tune up the diaphragm call for the season while I'm driving to work. Pretty hard to annoy people, and you can listen to calling info during the drive.

Jeremy

elkguide

WKR
The first bull that I ever bugled in came to a bugle from a "sippy cup" straw. As has been said, whatever you use..... be comfortable with it. Practice with your calls and do it after running several hundred yards and in every other position you can get yourself in. Call with your bow/rifle in your hands and make it second nature. The best calling advice that I would give someone just starting out is to get out there and once you hear a bull talking, mimic whatever the bull is saying. Cow calling sequence is something that you can get some great ideas from some of these guys here but a lot of it will come by being out there and listening and repeating. Elk are very vocal so listen.... a lot. And then "talk" to the elk. The worst thing that can happen is you might scare them off but then you'll learn not to do that again.

The absolutely worst bugle that I have ever heard in the woods came from a 340 class 6X6.

OP
Ryhole

Ryhole

FNG
thanks everyone for the tips. I have called with a diaphragm before, buts its been a lot of years. Ill get a couple calls ordered and get to practicing!

K_pem

WKR
I would recommend the All star diaphragm call from Rocky Mountain game calls!!

My first time picking up a diaphragm call and tube was last winter and i started with that one, i was making good sounds in probably a month max. This year i bought another one and also bought the new elk101 call as well. As far as bugle tubes i just have the basic one from RMGC and i have the cow call that Corey sells on the elk101 website. I think later this year i will probably pick up some more different RMGC diaphragms and see how much better the sound is.

Wapiti1

WKR
Elk all have different voices so "quality" of the sound is mostly a human thing. You just have to make the vocalization you need to. Fit of the call in your mouth is, for me, what makes it work or not.

I've heard bulls that sounded perfect early in the season only to catch them again a week later and they could barely squawk out a bugle.

Good luck this season and have fun.

Jeremy

I prefer Elknut1 Chuckler. It's changed for the better over the years. I Like the Phelps mouth reeds. And Carlton's external reeds.

cvsetter

FNG
This will be my first archery elk hunt this year but have been a long time turkey hunter.not much experience with elk calls,but picked up some of phelphs amp frames and have been pretty easy to use.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls would be my suggestion. They've been doing it for almost 30 years now and know a thing or two about making calls.
Diaphragms for beginning elk callers with mid to high palate: #1 Mistress (pink), #2 Black Magic, #3 All Star or Contender.
Flat palate plate: #1 Mellow Momma (yellow), #2 Raging Bull (brown)
Open reeds: #1 Voodoo Acrylic, #2 Temptress, #3 Who's Yrr Daddy Signature Series
Bugle Tubes, unless you know what mouthpiece you like the best just get the Wapiti Whacker. Then you have both styles either way.

Good luck calling and hunting this year!

oldgoat

WKR
I've tried a lot of different diaphragms, finding one that fits is important, you can trim them if they are too big, but I must suck at it because it never comes out right. Buy a bunch of them and find the one you can use and then stock up on them. One thing I've found, the ones with the colored latex seem to last longer for me and don't stretch out as fast. I do like the hyperplate series from Phelpsa lot, didn't care much for his other models but that doesn't mean they wouldn't work super for you. You need to get a hustle on though if this is for this year, you are definitely behind the ball on time unless you're seriously gifted at calling.

I agree with finding diaphragms and trying them all until you find a good fit. I've really been liking the aluminum dome amp frames, but have called elk with the primos kits and rocky mountain calls as well. If you can't handle diaphragms then you can get a rape whistle reed call and use it. They're effective. I usually carry one just in case I need a different sound that I'm getting from the diaphragm.