Elk Tip #1

ElkNut1

WKR
When in the elkwoods & you hear two bulls bugling each other where they are very close to one another, they are on the move in dark timber & no way to catch up, try cow calling loud enough for them to hear with 3-4 mews. If at anytime one stops bugling there's a great chance you've got his interest & he's coming to check you out. In most cases it's the satellite coming & the other bull continues up the mountain still bugling until out of earshot. No need to bugle here at all, this bull is more interested in the cow he heard. Cow call with 2-3 mews every minute, make them softer with each passing minute as he should be getting closer! Keep a sharp eye out & have a tight setup, he will most likely come in silent, if he bugles it's a bonus!

It's common for him to show up from minutes to 20 minutes, be patient & confident he's coming! The key thing to notice is one of the bulls stopped bugling! Don't leave after 5-10 minutes thinking he's not coming! It's no time to root through your pack making noise & movement.

ElkNut/Paul

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
As a sidenote, this encounter could have went sour by bugling at these bulls, been there done that & rare I mean rare is the case you have any chance at either one coming your way, instead they generally keep on the move & walk out of your life! Here's a bull that fell for the cow calling & slipped in silent 15 minutes after I started cow calling, less than a 20 yard shot for my son, this bull walked in right between us, he was 15 yards from me. OTC public land Idaho.

ElkNut/Paul

Attachments

• 2016 Paul II Six Point Bull 06.jpg
    2016 Paul II Six Point Bull 06.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 316
Salivating for september. The app and podcasts and diaphragm calls are keeping me going. Weighted pack training tonight. Thanks

11boo

WKR
I’ll be lurking in these threads for sure. 8-25 is right around the corner.

Thanks to the OP for putting this stuff out for us.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll generally sprint up the mountainside after them if they're going to continue to let me know where they are, trying to get close to them both and then reformulate the plan from there.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
5miles, yes that would be an option if a hunter could catch up to them that's why I mentioned that "there's no way to catch up to them" -- I will have a Tip on when it was possible to catch up & how it was handled, thanks bud!

ElkNut/Paul

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, just got the app do you have a podcast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
You bet guys! Thanks!

CBB1, are you asking if I've given any Podcasts? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
5miles, yes that would be an option if a hunter could catch up to them that's why I mentioned that "there's no way to catch up to them" --

Oh, sorry.......I thought that was just a general consensus statement for the average guy.;)

I had always heard that it was impossible to chase down elk on the move heading up the mountain, but I beg to differ.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
LOL! I bet you could catch about anything! You're not the average guy though! Ha Ha! Thanks for following along!

ElkNut/Paul

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, have you been on any podcast or have your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out The Rich Outdoors, episode 158: Wapiti Wednesday with Elk Nut Paul Medel. Though be warned, listening to this podcast will result in high elk fever and wanting to go hunting now!

I had this almost exact scenario occur. 2 bulls talking, pre rut, I figured they were beginning to herd up and just staying close. I cow called. Could only hear one bugle after that heading away. Then 10-15 minutes later, frustrated that they didn't come, I hear a crashing out of the bottom. He was coming, I just didn't know it. I checked wind and it was good, though the thermals may have changed on me, though I thought it was still shady enough. I was high he was low and coming up a bit. I think he saw me, as he circled and came further from my left than where they were.

Good info and real life stuff here Paul thx.

5MB I tried running an elk down last year, I was taken miles and I mean miles from my position. They really hurt me. I got dizzy, dehydrated and lost my ability to utilize information to find my way back. I was just gonna go a little way, but they kept pulling me closer and closer and closer. lol
Now my pack never stays, it always goes with. I have chased elk dozens of times before, without pack, this was that one time it cost me, and Ill never do it again, ever, not even 20 yards, regardless what the social media video guys do.
:)

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Hey, great encounter! Yes, I too have got up too early & had a stair down with a bull that seemed to come out of nowhere! How do they do that! It's like he was silently lowered down by a helicopter! Ha Ha! Thanks bud!

ElkNut/Paul