Unit 48 Idaho

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all, I am relatively new to the site and have been reading the forums and was wondering if I could get some information on unit 48 in Idaho for archery elk. I am NOT looking for honey holes let me make that clear I am just asking for a direction to go and if is it possible to hunt here without backpacking in? I do not have the equipment for that at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

eric1115

WKR
There are lots of car camping spots, all over 48 that you can day hike hunt from. Don't sweat it too much about not having backpacking gear. Have only rifle hunted here, so I am not the best guy to give September elk info.

If you're thinking of hunting the middle to southern part of the unit, onX is well worth it as there are some significant chunks of private property down there. Many are owned by actively anti-hunting folks and you'll want to know for sure where you're at.

I always setup a basecamp and have spike out gear ready when I hunt 48, but the majority of nights are spent in the wall tent. I tend to not spike out until I find the elk. 48 is steep if you haven't been there before.

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
David is right on it being some steep country!
Personally I wouldn't hunt it w/o being able to spike out. Some of those main roads and trails get beat pretty hard for recreational use, also a lot of the trails allow motorcycle use. Going in 3 miles could mean climbing a 1000ft, and dropping 500ft into basin before your hunting. I never saw real high concentrations of elk, but there were some nice bulls around. And this is just my 2 cents, its certainly a big unit and I haven't hunted all of it.