Help with Unit 18 in Colorado

overland

FNG
Howdy -

I am a new hunter and was very fortunate to draw an either sex tag for first rifle season in unit 18 (Colorado). I am a little familiar with this unit as I spent a few days of my first elk hunt last year out there. Unfortunately due to my work schedule I couldn't spend as much time as I would have liked.

Would anyone be willing to share some pieces of advice to a new hunter about this unit (or elk hunting in general)? I was planning on driving as deep as I could into the unit and then hoofing the rest on foot to where I think (hope) the elk will be.

Thanks in advance,

p.

Howdy -

I am a new hunter and was very fortunate to draw an either sex tag for first rifle season in unit 18 (Colorado). I am a little familiar with this unit as I spent a few days of my first elk hunt last year out there. Unfortunately due to my work schedule I couldn't spend as much time as I would have liked.

Would anyone be willing to share some pieces of advice to a new hunter about this unit (or elk hunting in general)? I was planning on driving as deep as I could into the unit and then hoofing the rest on foot to where I think (hope) the elk will be.

Thanks in advance,

p.

Have the same tag. If you’re hunting solo, a my buddy and I would appreciate some boots on ground info and company too. It will be our first hunt there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

overland

FNG
Thanks, guys!

I will have a buddy with me for the first few days of the hunt but I certainly appreciate the offer.

Thanks, guys!

I will have a buddy with me for the first few days of the hunt but I certainly appreciate the offer.

Good deal. I’ve got nothing for you then. If u run into a couple of 30 something year-old crackers from GA/AL, then consider ourselves acquainted! Good luck!

Ranger185

FNG
I really enjoyed hunting that area two years ago. Good terrain to support wildlife, lots of dark timber. Though I will say watch out for an angry cow moose. Chased me off a couple random passes...used to have to glass before making my way back to camp. Also, watch your Eastern Boundary as it lines up with RMNP, which a no-no area to hunters. If you think you're close, un-nock your arrow. You can use the park to get to 18, but your sticks have to be stowed.

mherne8

FNG
Howdy -

Thanks in advance,

p.

Shoot me a pm with your info I don’t mind helping out. I hunted there last year I’m familiar with a few spots. Not sure what the pressure is like during rifle season.

Samee0621

FNG
Me or the fella asking?

Hi I just saw this post. I was curious if you had any info you’re willing to share as I’m hunting this unit for first rifle. I have no idea how to send a PM though lol

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi I just saw this post. I was curious if you had any info you’re willing to share as I’m hunting this unit for first rifle. I have no idea how to send a PM though lol
People can't pm without 10 posts and being a member for a week Maybe make an effort to be a member and contribute a bit before asking for hand outs

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Samee0621

FNG
People can't pm without 10 posts and being a member for a week Maybe make an effort to be a member and contribute a bit before asking for hand outs

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
He offered up the info I figured I’d ask if he was willing to share with me as well. Wipe your tears buddy it will be ok.