Elk Tip #7

ElkNut1

WKR
Opening The Corridor!

I'm sure most here are wondering what the heck is this? There are times we do not want to settle for anything less than the Herd Bull himself but Satellite bulls are between you & him. This is a unique way to get those pesky Satellites out of your way so you can get to the herd bull! Most of us have experience at one time or another with bulls maintaining their distance as we've tried bugling our way to them in hopes that bull would stay put so we can get close enough to put an arrow in him! It's rarely the case & we lose a lot of those encounters as these bulls move away!

So, use this to your advantage when those Satellites are between you & the bull you're after! Start bugling when aprox 400 yards away from those pesky satellites that are harassing the herd bull because he has cows in estrus. As you move forward every 50-75 yards, bugle, those satellites will start to move off the closer you get as you call your way right at them. Good thing is the herd bull pretty much stays put just like he did with those satellites harassing him for his hot cow. One more bull (you) doesn't mean anything to the herd bull, he generally will stay anchored with his cows! You have now succeeded in Opening The Corridor right to your target bull, it's up to you to now work your magic once in too close for this real bulls comfort.

ElkNut/Paul

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thank you sir!

I should also mention that this tactic works great for moving any bull out of your way to clear the path in moving forward through the mountains as you listen for more mature bulls to work. I used this last year to push what I thought was a Satellite bull away by bugling my way to him, worked perfect, it can clear the way without spooking any other elk, these pest bulls just move out of the way! Think outside the box!

ElkNut/Paul

CX5Ranch

WKR
I have another great tip to get those pesky satellite bulls out of the way. I give them a pack mule ride to the truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
LOL! That works for me! You'd be surprised how many calls & emails I receive from guys that have draw hunts & want to know how to get to those rutting herd bulls! This is my response, it works very well if ever faced with it!

ElkNut/Paul