Elk Tip #8

ElkNut1

WKR
When Bulls Cow Call!

Every once in a while I need to inject a sound sequence that sets me apart from most but still makes sense to the bull I'm trying to persuade to come closer. This is generally the herd bull but has worked on satellites too as they can show out of curiosity. Anytime we can think outside the box on these heavily hunted OTC units our odds will rise! -- Think about it, these elk see & have all kinds of sounds tossed at them so can become disciplined on what to avoid especially in certain areas of about any unit that sees hunting pressure! They hear the generic cow call & bugling by hunters from specific spots on a regular basis. With these things taking place we hunters need to be creative, realistic & believable in our sound selection not just for locating but when getting close & sounds are necessary to close the deal.

For instance, there are times you will be inside 75 yards from a bull & cannot get any closer or you will run out of the needed cover. Some will Challenge a bull right there, others may try to cow call the bull over, some may try to call the bulls cows away. All great tactics when used at the right time! Problem with many Herd Bulls is if you do not bring them in on the first attempt they get smart real fast & future calling attempts become increasingly difficult.

Here's another one to add on those very cagey bulls that have heard it all & still won't budge instead you get into a screaming match, when that's the case the bull wins most of them if not all of them! Let's consider a quick elk sound that can convince him you're a real elk & have him make a physical appearance!

#1 - Avoid the screaming match, it leads no where! After two or three bugles near that 75 yard mark & he isn't budging you need to now call this bulls cow away but with a unique approach that he only hears from another bull! Give 3-4 Pants with your voice through your bugle tube, now give 2-3 cow mews & without any hesitation go straight to a Round Up Bugle & start raking a tree/limbs/brush. (it means come over here) -- Pants are defined as Excitement, the mews are the bull making them & the Round Up Bugle completes the message being sent by you the satellite. The real bull knows you are talking to his hot cow not him, you're trying to call her over through sound & Displaying with the raking! -- When giving the mews & into your bugle do it all simultaneously so it's evident this is all coming from you the bull. The Herd Bull is now enraged with that slap in his face & you're so bold & close, this will most likely have him Challenge/Warn you or he will come running in, I've had both happen. If he Challenges you (the most common) be ready to Challenge right over him followed with 3-4 Pants, that should do it from that range!

Listen to this sound clip, you will hear bulls using this sound in this very encounter!
Bulls Using Cow Calls Before Chuckles or Scream

ElkNut/Paul