New Mexico Elk - Unit 16b need hunt help!

LChunt18

FNG
Hey everyone! I drew the golden tickets to hunt in the NM Gila for a trophy Elk and a Buck....but for the sake of this post it is for my elk tag! I have NEVER hunted in the Gila and NEVER hunted for an elk! I went on private land in Montana with no luck and that’s it... I wanted a challenge! I got it!

I have called pretty much every outfitter/guide in the area to take me in and pack me out. No luck on finding anyone. I was hoping someone out there could give me direction for a guide or if it’s at all possible to get my Elk on my own. I have access to a four wheeler.

Guess I should mention I am a female trying to plan these 2 epic hunts of a life time! So anyone that can shed some light on my problem, I would be forever grateful to you all!

Stay safe! Happy hunting!

Please give me a call. I work with some of the best outfitters out there and have several that guide the Gila that are top notch.
Mark Harrington
325-276-1414
[email protected]
Fulltimehunts.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I've got no help to give you, except to say congrats on the tag and enjoy a great hunt!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I can’t see how it’s possible to not find someone willing to guide someone holding a 16b tag. Keep looking, keep calling.

OP
L

LChunt18

FNG
My problem I keep running into is I drew out on my own application. Where as most of the guides I have called are booked because they had people do the applications thru the outfitters. They have all essentially been pre-booked thru the draw application process. I think I am now down to local guides that just want extra cash taking someone in on livestock. Which I can’t find...

Thomas11

WKR
The unit could easily be hunted DIY. I mean do you have some help with packing the animal out etc? Or r u truly on your own here? I’ve hunted the adjoining unit but camped on the Border of this unit. If I drew it, I’d def DIY this hunt and either dayhunt or packin 3/4 Miles and stay

You might call Mark at the Archery Shoppe in Albuquerque. He isn’t a guide but he is a landowner tag broker and I’m sure he knows a lot of the guides in the area.

Might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
If you haven't, call Chris Guikema at Compass West. He may be able to point you to a good guide if he doesn't have something. Then, I'd call or email Aaron Neilson at Global Hunting Consultants. He's an agent in Colorado, but he has set me up on NM hunts. He has a lot of connections in New Mexico. I've done hunts through or with both of these guys and they are solid.

Jeremy

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider

DTP

FNG
LChunt18 I drew the 16b 9/15-24 Non Guided Archery Hunt for this 2019 Season. Can you share any experience from your hunt last year?

Brushhawg

Lil-Rokslider
LChunt18 I drew the 16b 9/15-24 Non Guided Archery Hunt for this 2019 Season. Can you share any experience from your hunt last year?
As you know a majority of the unit is wilderness. Without horses or contracting a guide or drop camp I would really put some thought into how far you'll be able to pack a bull out in the sep heat bf it spoils. There are some decent roads in the unit, some near some very good elk hunting. A solid strategy if you're doing it on foot might be to lay out the maps and look at country within a couple 2-3 mi radius from rd access and see what you find.

It's easy when chasing bugles to end up farther in than intended. Shooting a bull way back in the wilderness pales to the challenge of getting it dressed and out bf it spoils. Thinking about limits beforehand, and sticking to them, can really set a guy up for success and avoid getting in over one's head.

Hey everyone! I drew the golden tickets to hunt in the NM Gila for a trophy Elk and a Buck....but for the sake of this post it is for my elk tag! I have NEVER hunted in the Gila and NEVER hunted for an elk! I went on private land in Montana with no luck and that’s it... I wanted a challenge! I got it!

I have called pretty much every outfitter/guide in the area to take me in and pack me out. No luck on finding anyone. I was hoping someone out there could give me direction for a guide or if it’s at all possible to get my Elk on my own. I have access to a four wheeler.

Guess I should mention I am a female trying to plan these 2 epic hunts of a life time! So anyone that can shed some light on my problem, I would be forever grateful to you all!

Stay safe! Happy hunting!

I just drew the same tag/Archery Sept 15-24 2020. Wondering how you did and if you have any intel on areas you can share. Thanks in advance.