1st Rifle Elk vs 2nd Rifle Elk/Mule Combo

ChrisAU

WKR
Assuming you have no issue getting the tags, would you rather hunt 1st rifle with an elk bull tag, or 2nd rifle with an elk bull and mule buck tag in your pocket? I've never hunted or killed either.

During first season there typically will be less hunters in the field. Would you rather have less company while elk hunting or a chance at a muley buck?

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on preference and hunting style. I think it is difficult to hunt both elk and mule deer at the same time. I find people generally do a poor job of both instead of giving great effort for one species. Having said that having a tag for both in your pocket would be great if you come across an elk while deer hunting. Just focus on hunting one and if you get lucky and see the other species you would like to take then great. Or plan on having a solid week to spend on both species. Good luck.

topher89

WKR
I usually pick up a second elk tag when I hunt mulies, either a leftover cow or an OTC bull tag. My main focus in hunting mule deer but I have the tag just in case I run into an elk. I have separate elk tag that I focus on in a different season.

jb1842

FNG
I drew a 1st rifle elk and a 2nd rifle deer tag, so I'm trying to answer the same question. I am leaning towards 1st rifle. Less hunters, but shorter season. But if I go 1st rifle, it will be solo. If I go 2nd rifle, I have friends that will pick up on OTC tag and come with.

Phaseolus

WKR
If you don’t already have a mule deer tag you will be in for tough sledding...land owner tags are pricey.

I’ve always hunted 2nd rifle first combination season. I am always hunting mule deer but buy an OTC elk tag in case I come across a bull. Like said before odds are higher in first season but you don’t have the option of mule deer. Just my preference. One day when I am set on getting a big bull I’ll start hunting first rifle or archery season.

Sturgeon

WKR
I hunted first elk a two years ago and our group went 3 for 4. On the last day of the hunt I jumped an absolute monster mule deer bedded in some tall grass at about 15 yards that stood and looked at me for a few moments before bounding off.