Worth it to also buy archery deer tag for elk hunting?

I'll be hunting eastern Oregon for archery elk (either sex), and was curious if you guys thought it is worth it to buy a deer tag also?

I have to pay out of state prices, so the question is not really around cost for deer tag. I'm more curious about odds of bumping into bucks.

My overall plan is to hunt the herds on opening week where they pass for water and feed, so will be most likely be in a treestand or hunting based on the thermals (I've done most of the elk101 material). I've elk hunted this area before and saw does, but my hunting partner saw two bucks.

Locating elk is not a problem as of now, but I will definitely be "getting after it" on more than one herd. Things don't always go as planned especially with other hunters and potential for fires (happened last time).

Just curious what your thoughts are.

Mjprohoroff

Lil-Rokslider
I think that’s pretty unit specific. There are good bucks in most units but not a lot of them. If your not picky u can find legal bucks pretty easily.

Hunting is conservation

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
All's I can say from my little western hunting knowledge and experience is that your already going to be out there and you never know when you'll come across a good buck. I did this on my Colorado hunt 2 years ago and ended up getting both tags. the elk were un cooperative and I had seen some good bucks so I switched gears and ended up getting lucky with a beautiful 170ish inch buck.

Jbehredt

WKR
I did it for years but eventually got to the point where I didn’t want to burn a day of elk hunting packing out a deer. Now I’m stacking deer points for a 4th season hunt.

ElkNut1

WKR
Hell, on a 9 day hunt go for it! It's only money! Don't be too picky though it's not as if a monster buck will be standing around waiting for you to arrow him! Good Luck!

ElkNut/Paul

WRO

WKR
If you aren't picky then yeah get it..

I've killed a meat buck almost every year i've wanted too elk hunting as an incidental.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't do deer tags on elk hunts for the same reason I don't do black bear tags on sheep hunts.

I want to concentrate on the target species...by chasing another species you are diluting your elk hunt.
One day chasing a buck and one day packing out...that is a good chuck of your hunt.
If you are just going to shoot a buck if you run into it...well...did you really earn that buck?
Incidental kills are just something I am not interested in so far...except grouse haha

Lets say you kill an elk first couple days of your hunt...well then go buy that deer tag and use the rest of your time off!

topher89

WKR
I think it depends on your goals. If your ultimate goal is the experience and meat on the ground, get the deer tag. If you want an elk real bad and you want that once in a lifetime bull, don't get a deer tag.

I am a newer hunter and my main goal is getting a decent animal and meat on the ground. So I double up on tags when possible and try to get at least one filled each hunt.

OP
J
All great answers, thanks. My realistic goal is any sex elk because I want the meat. I'm not planning to dilute the hunt and chase bucks, but I do want the meat so I'm not picky about his rack and will take him if the opportunity presents itself.

LostArra

WKR
The tag cost would not be the decider for me. It's the time. I'm not taking any of my limited time from elk hunting to shoot, blood trail, field dress, pack out and chill a deer. And I love deer hunting.
If I lived in elk country I might feel differently.

With an either sex tag, I would think the important decision is when do you shoot a cow? Day 1 or the last day or sometime in between?

ColeKira

FNG
I wish I had bought a deer tag and bear tag when I went on my CO elk hunt. I returned to camp for lunch one day and saw a beautiful cinnamon bear. I could have also shot several nice mule deer in velvet.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend it if money isn't an issue. I live in eastern oregon if that matters. I don't know exactly where you will be, but here there are decent deer numbers and some good bucks in eastern oregon. You never know when you come across a good buck and you will wish you would have had it.

Last edited:

njdoxie

WKR
No way do I want anything taking time away from elk hunting, so I wouldn't get a tag if there were 180 inch bucks bedding in camp, takes too much time away from elk hunting if you get a deer, ymmv.

N Corey

FNG
If you’re “Elk Hunting” I’d say no. If you’re just hunting and want to increase your odds of shooting something then I’d say go for it.

OP
J
If you’re “Elk Hunting” I’d say no. If you’re just hunting and want to increase your odds of shooting something then I’d say go for it.

What do you mean by elk hunting in quotes? Are you referring to hunting approach or are you referring to loss of time dedicated to elk hunting?

My focus is on elk hunting because of my prior experience once before hunting herds based on the ease of tracking them relative to deer. But I am also simply bow hunting and have yet to tag anything with a bow.

My only prior regrets to out of state elk/deer hunting in the past was simply "not getting after it". With a single digit handicap in golf, I still think deer/elk hunting is way harder than shooting a mid 70s score in 18 holes of golf, and I'm not referring to the physical aspect of hiking!

N Corey

FNG
What I meant was if you really want to kill an elk then don’t side track yourself with deer and stay focused on the areas the elk are. If you want to just be out hunting and would be happy with an opportunity at either then buy both tags. That’s my opinion.

HookUp

WKR
Quality bucks and elk are at different elevations. I carry both tags and see right through the deer I see when elk hunting. If I had unlimited time I might consider a combo hunt. With an empty freezer its all elk for me.