Eastern Elk Draws

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone else on here participate in the Elk drawings in the Eastern states that have them? While the odds aren't great, the possibility of hunting elk without a 25+ hour drive seems very enticing to me. Anyone else throw their name in the hat?

I do.... Been rolling the dice on Kentucky for about 5 years now..... One day my ship will come.....
Thinking about throwing in on Pennsylvania next year and start building that...
And I also threw in on Tenn.

In NC, I think I may live to see the Elk tags come in our state, but I highly doubt I would ever draw one

PA is a simple $10 dollar donation for very slim chance of drawing a tag with near 100% success rate. The points basically mean nothing at this point so I think 25000 people applied last year so even at max points you have about a 10 or 11 out on 100000 chance. Bull tags are limited to like 20 or 25 every year then about 75 cow tags.

They also do a raffle for one tag as well chances are typically $25 and the odds are usually better.

The average bull is probably 300. A couple of years ago someone poached a 420 class bill that now sits mounted in my towns historical society. Every year hunters will shoot bulls in the 350 to 375 class and usually the largest bull taken every year approaches or exceeds 400.

I live and play in PA elk country so I donate my $10 every year with no expectation of ever drawing but someone has too.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone else on here participate in the Elk drawings in the Eastern states that have them? While the odds aren't great, the possibility of hunting elk without a 25+ hour drive seems very enticing to me. Anyone else throw their name in the hat?

I've been applying to PA for years now. I think last time I checked I was up over 10 PP now. Its certainly not western hunting by any means, but the Elk territory in PA is over 500,000 acres. But for $11 to apply, why not. As everyone says, somebody's gotta draw. The non-typical record in PA is over 440 and the typical is just under 400. There are some really big Elk in PA and ones over 380+ are taken every year.

I drew a Kansas cow tag my second year applying. I think odds were less than 1%. Can't apply for another 5 years. It was a fun hunt and I was successful and glad I did it, nearly all solo. I posted my story here and actually just had someone reach out to me through Rokslide, they had drawn the tag and are looking for advice.

I started applying for a cow tag 2 years ago in my home state of PA. I have not illusions that it is the same as hunting them out west. I'm doing it 100% for the meat. It's so cheap for res tags I don't see any reason not to toss my name in the hat.

It's a lottery so you can draw with 1 point. Long long shot but it's possible.

Trial153

WKR
I been putting in for year, honestly it’s a waste of money but it’s only money so what the hell.... not even sure why because chasing elk in the east isn’t even what I think of as elk hunting.

Easier to draw and I'm not interested in a big flowerbed rack bull. I just want a few hundred pounds of elk venison. I actually do an either sex pick. I'd certainly shoot a big old bull but it wouldn't mean much too me compared to a western backcountry rag horn.

It's not easier to draw though. If you put cow only and they draw your name first then you get a cow tag.

If in PA you put no preference and they draw your name and a bull tag is left you will get it. If only cow tags are left then you get one of those. Same with the hunt area preference.

At least this is how it was explained to me by the people doing the draw at the visitor center a few years ago.

Rs3003

WKR
I put in for my home state of PA also. Either sex tag. I’ve never got a tag and I don’t know anyone that has. It’s a lottery so it can happen any year.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I have been putting in for the KY draw ever since they started. Maybe someday I will get lucky. Looks like they are cutting the tag numbers drastically next year.

But I got drawn for Colorado 1st Rifle this year. Might have to move out there.

I do KY every year and I think I sitting on 12 points for PA. You gotta play to win!

I've hunted a lot of places in PA I'd regret shooting a Deer let alone an Elk.

FLAK

WKR
I would LOVE to draw a PA or KY tag, and hunt with traditional
muzzleloader gear like the settlers did it.
An Appalachian Elk would be a top notch hunt.

young7.3

WKR
Drew a ky bull tag in 2016. Super fun hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk