Bugle Tube help!

DavePwns

WKR
I have yet to pull the trigger on a bugle tube, I already have diaphragm calls but am on the lookout for an effective bugle tube. I would preferably want something light weight since I am an oz counter with backpack hunting.

What do you recommend and what have you used?

I have yet to pull the trigger on a bugle tube, I already have diaphragm calls but am on the lookout for an effective bugle tube. I would preferably want something light weight since I am an oz counter with backpack hunting.

What do you recommend and what have you used?

The new small tube from Phelps looks promising but idk if anyone has had the chance to try it out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
The new small tube from Phelps looks promising but idk if anyone has had the chance to try it out yet.

I'll have to look into that for sure, has anyone had experience with it?

Wapiti1

WKR
14" to 18" section of corrugated 1.5 to 2" diameter plastic tube. Shop vac hose works perfectly. Or you can get it by the foot at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It is light, flexible (can direct calls without moving much), and lasts forever.

It is not a sexy bugle tube, though, but you can put any stickers on it you want to spiffy it up. I just covered mine in an old camo shirt sleeve zip tied at the ends around the tube.

Jeremy

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
14" to 18" section of corrugated 1.5 to 2" diameter plastic tube. Shop vac hose works perfectly. Or you can get it by the foot at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It is light, flexible (can direct calls without moving much), and lasts forever.

It is not a sexy bugle tube, though, but you can put any stickers on it you want to spiffy it up. I just covered mine in an old camo shirt sleeve zip tied at the ends around the tube.

Jeremy
That's a good idea, I wonder how much of a difference in sound quality that is

Wapiti1

WKR
The big bell tubes like a Phelps go a little deeper in tone. The bells might be louder as well. Neither seems important to me since every real elk has his own voice and I've never had an instance where louder was going to make or break a setup. Elk have great hearing.

The main reason I still use a flexible tube is I hunt alone a lot and I can tuck the tube under my arm and keep my hands mostly free. I probably look silly, but I can call and draw at the same time. The other thing I like is the ability to direct the sound. Bull to the left, cow behind, cow to the right. You can move her around as you call from a stationary position. Helps get a bull broadside instead of looking straight at you.

Just another option. Both work well.

Jeremy

young7.3

WKR
I can’t help... I use a plastic wiffle ball bat from Walmart that I cut the handle off and drilled a hole in the barrel. Best $5 toy I’ve ever bought

Same here. But if I were to buy one, I'd buy the small one from Phelps.

KSP277

WKR
Same here.” Fat Bat” brand from Riteaid. And some camo cloth tape. Little 550 cord. Pow. Bugle tube. Listened to a Podcast a Phelps said they had a contract with a company buying unbranded fat bats at one point.

I think this is one of those areas where you can put a ton of effort and thought and even money into something that ain’t worth worrying about. They all work.

Wapiti1

WKR
You're getting the bright red or yellow wiffle bats right? So you don't lose them in the woods.

In all seriousness, while I like good branded gear, sometimes you have to think about what you are really buying. You need a plastic tube. There are a lot of cheap plastic tubes in this world. Pretty sure the branded ones were thought up by guys originally using wiffle bats.

Jeremy

Thomas11

WKR
I’m sure some of these homemade “whiffle” bats work great but for what they cost I’ll just get one I know works. I’m just sayin- rocky mt or Phelps and good diaphragm

406Hunt

FNG
Not an oz counter, but I picked up the wapati wacker from rocky mountain and that thing is pretty awesome. It's loud as hell and sounds great. I went from a 1980's Wayne Carlton's Bugle tube to this and can confidently say there is a huge difference and I feel much more confident in the wacker!

nsparks

FNG
On the compact end of the spectrum, the RM pack a bull is awesome. It's not the only tube I have but it lives in my pack all fall whether working, scouting, hiking with the family, etc.