Unit 33/23/24

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
I am heading to Colorado during September/archery for my first elk and first backpack hunt from Wisconsin, and I was hoping I could run my plan and maps by someone who has some familiarity in the area to make sure I am not overlooking an obvious obstacle or potentially heading into an area that will be a complete waste of time. I am still waiting to hear back from the biologist, and I will edit if I do.

Right now, I have 3 areas I plan to hunt each with 12-15 different spots at varying elevations (between 10500 and 8000 ft) with different features. I narrowed it down using the Elk101 scouting tips (north facing slopes with meadows), water source, and benches in thick timber for bedding), in roadless areas designated by the randy Newberg layer in OnX, and in or directly adjacent to summer elk grounds shown on the RMEF map. I was hoping to hunt burns, but couldn't find any recent (within 12 years) burns that satisfied the rest of my criteria.

If there is someone that would be willing to check my plan/maps over or offer any advice on how i should have made my plan based on the info above I would be extremely grateful!

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Hans7451

FNG
I've hunted in 23 and 24. What season are you going? There's a fire burning in Unit 24 right now North of Burro Mountain.

Jd259

WKR
I’ve hunted 24 a few times shoot me a pm and I’ll help if I can

gvsugod

FNG
Id be interested in hearing how the hunt went as well. 24 was a unit I was considering this fall for one of the rifle seasons. My buddy refuses to bow hunt. womp womp

OP
Stilpr

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
I only made it into unit 33, ran into a Bull my first night and had two more encounters (choked at 16 yards) over the next 6 days. It was crazy hot, limited water, and i didn't have much bugling action.

If anyone wants more details shoot me a message!

sndmn11

WKR
I only made it into unit 33, ran into a Bull my first night and had two more encounters (choked at 16 yards) over the next 6 days. It was crazy hot, limited water, and i didn't have much bugling action.

If anyone wants more details shoot me a message!

Oh man, you can't break the code of sharing information that others graciously shared with you.

lif

WKR
Oh man, you can't break the code of sharing information that others graciously shared with you.
I think his post is as respectful and gracious as we can ask. He gave a quick reply on a post he hadn’t been on since last years and offered to share info through private message. That is what most Roksliders would prefer I believe.

lif

WKR
No worries, you didn't know because it was private. I withheld the honey holes, but lesson learned.
A lot of bullshit on here lately. Just a little sensitive to knuckle heads on here trolling. Good for you for helping Sucks it comes back in your face. Maybe he will have a change of heart and zip the lips Sorry again for jumping to conclusions.

sndmn11

WKR
A lot of bullshit on here lately. Just a little sensitive to knuckle heads on here trolling. Good for you for helping Sucks it comes back in your face. Maybe he will have a change of heart and zip the lips Sorry again for jumping to conclusions.

I wasn't offended in the least so there is no need to apologize; there are too many communication cues missing in reading text to genuinely be offended. I helped out 4-5 folks from out of state on here last year, and they all ran into the animals they were looking for. I do have a slightly selfish reason in doing so in that if the person follows through on both hunting there AND getting back with me after, it is a quarter as good as scouting myself. This unit is a backup that I know well and I am happy to share information with those who have done some leg work. In this case, The OP had some general areas picked out on a map and told me the WHY of those places. So for me that showed that he had put some genuine effort and thought into things, and it was an easy yes to spend a few hours in sending messages to narrow that down. My opinion is that two unspoken (sometimes stated) rules in this are; 1) Report back on how it went. 2) The fruits of the poisonous tree apply, so what was shared and anything learned from that is between the sharer and sharee.

jcameron

FNG
I wasn't offended in the least so there is no need to apologize; there are too many communication cues missing in reading text to genuinely be offended. I helped out 4-5 folks from out of state on here last year, and they all ran into the animals they were looking for. I do have a slightly selfish reason in doing so in that if the person follows through on both hunting there AND getting back with me after, it is a quarter as good as scouting myself. This unit is a backup that I know well and I am happy to share information with those who have done some leg work. In this case, The OP had some general areas picked out on a map and told me the WHY of those places. So for me that showed that he had put some genuine effort and thought into things, and it was an easy yes to spend a few hours in sending messages to narrow that down. My opinion is that two unspoken (sometimes stated) rules in this are; 1) Report back on how it went. 2) The fruits of the poisonous tree apply, so what was shared and anything learned from that is between the sharer and sharee.
If you have time, I wanted to pick your brain. I have been doing a lot of e-scouting and also did a 2 day back pack this past weekend to try and see how things are looking. I am new to this area and would appreciate any help