Colorado Non resident OTC

bwlacy

WKR
In the past we've bought our tags when we get out there somewhere along the way. Considering purchasing them online this year. How fast does Colorado get them in the mail? They don't go on sale for another week. We are planning on leaving Michigan on September 7. I don't want to buy my tag online and not have it in time for the trip.

Anyone with any experience out there? Should we just not chance it and still get them out there? It sure would be easier to get them online. Not have to haul the cash out there, find a place open along the way, etc...

I purchased mine over the net for the last 4 years. I pay the extra $$ to have it shipped overnight. Always received it the next day by FedEx. I would rather have it in my pocket for the trip than try to obtain it when I get there. They are available in every WalMart, most major grocery stores, etc along the way. It's just a personal thing. Make sure you have an original Hunter Ed card.

edited to correct misstatement: They are available at "SOME WalMarts". Some managers may not participate in the licensing program. Sorry for the mis-information above

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
While it is tough to trust in a government agency, the Colorado Game and Fish folks know when the season starts. If you purchase as early as possible, it will be in your hand prior to the season.

Worst case, you take your receipt and reprint when you get there at a license agent. They'll have the record of payment with your tag numbers and hand you a duplicate tag. Then they'll tell you to destroy the one sitting in your mail at home.

Jeremy

cnelk

WKR
FYI
Licenses sales are not available at every Walmart.
That depends on the store manager if they participate in hunting/fishing license sales

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd still wait until you get here. You don't have to "haul all that cash", you can buy with a CC just like you would if you bought it online. You never know what's going to happen between now and then, and it's already too late to get a refund for any archery season tags if you somehow don't make it out.

FYI, I was caught off guard last year. Many Wal-Mart's in KS are open 24 hours a day and you can always buy tags/licenses, but in Colorado they close at midnight, some probably earlier. And even those, the sporting goods section that sells the licenses close at 10PM. And closed means closed. I had to beg compliment and flirt with a girl at Safeway to open customer service early and sell me a tag the next morning at like 6AM. It cost us packing in in the dark, so a morning's hunt.

I think buy ahead of time with option to re-print is the way to go, unless you know know know you're rolling in during the day and aren't in a hurry to get into the mountains.

Backyard

WKR
Just remember that if you purchase online and something comes up that prevents you from going, injury or whatever, the tag is non-refundable.
That is just the reason that I wait to purchase on the way.

$661 is a of of ching.

Whip

WKR
I had a planned CO elk hunt cancel at the last minute one year. The season had already started and I had purchased my tag ahead of time to save a half hour in Walmart when we got there. Needless to say, I was out $661.
If your schedule will allow a stop at a store when you arrive in CO I would recommend waiting.
Life has a way of occasionally throwing a change up no matter what you might think ahead of time.

I purchased mine over the net for the last 4 years. I pay the extra $$ to have it shipped overnight. Always received it the next day by FedEx. I would rather have it in my pocket for the trip than try to obtain it when I get there. They are available in every WalMart, most major grocery stores, etc along the way. It's just a personal thing. Make sure you have an original Hunter Ed card.

edited to correct misstatement: They are available at "SOME WalMarts". Some managers may not participate in the licensing program. Sorry for the mis-information above
Im looking at going to Colorado after my Wyoming hunt for the second season but dont have my original hunter ed card, its a duplicate from Fish and Game. Do you have to have the original hunter ed card or is the duplicate card from Fish and Game accepted?

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
I'd still wait until you get here. You don't have to "haul all that cash", you can buy with a CC just like you would if you bought it online. You never know what's going to happen between now and then, and it's already too late to get a refund for any archery season tags if you somehow don't make it out.

Had 2 small mom and pop stores in 2015 refuse to sell us licenses with out cash, would not take a card. They said they lose too much money on it. Ended up being a several hour delay trying to find someone open that would sell us tags. Our fault for not stopping in a major city at a Wal Mart or something similar.

Im looking at going to Colorado after my Wyoming hunt for the second season but dont have my original hunter ed card, its a duplicate from Fish and Game. Do you have to have the original hunter ed card or is the duplicate card from Fish and Game accepted?

I'm sure it will be fine if issued by your state. I meant not to have a photocopy, but then again, that might be acceptable too. If the number can be read, it should be able to be verified. I went through my first hunter ed course in 1985 or so. I don't have my original, but I have a replacement card issued by La. You can also take your card to a Game & Fish Office, and they will enter it into the computer, so any subsequent licenses you buy will have a "V" on it which indicates that the Hunter Ed card has been verified, and you don't have to carry it with you.

oldgoat

WKR
You can always purchase online and pick up at any license retailer, we had issues last year I believe with buying turkey licences, for whatever reason, I can't remember exactly, but I was able to buy online for pick up at a retailer. I am a resident and that's how I'll probably do it this year since we didn't draw an elk tag. Normally I would get it in the mail, but we last minute decided to get OTC turkey tags that year and the store we went to had a dysfunctional license machine. So you order online and it can be minutes before and walk in and the machine will spit out your license, many of the King Soopers grocery stores are license vendors besides Walmarts

Catahoula

WKR
Don’t rely on the USPS. I drew an archery deer tag and I still don’t have it.... LOST, GONE, I’m going to CPW Monday for a reprint. So just buy your OTC at a reliable source. Good luck with your hunt!

vanish

WKR
TLDR: I vote for buy online! ( though Whip's story is a strong argument against )

I believe its only $5 to get a reprint if something goes wrong. That would take about the same amount of time as buying the license at the store and no more of an inconvenience. Whereas 99% of the time its going to show up fine, and you can skip the 20+ minute trip to the store. I say there's probably as much a chance, if not higher, of something going wrong with buying at a store ( like above ) as your license being lost in the mail.

xziang

WKR
I paid extra for express shipping 4 years ago. Last couple of years I've stopped at the walmart in Frt Morgan off of I76 for my license. Just rather do it on the Outskirts of Denver. Pretty sure they took a CC too, I believe one small town and shop I checked before would only take cash.

Me I always get one on the way there.

Just wanted to point out that this is only valid for archery hunts. Rifle and I'm assuming muzzleloader can only be purchased at a CPW office after the season starts.

From the regs:

"OTC licenses are unlimited in number and may be purchased any time until the day
before the hunting season begins. After the season starts, they are available at CPW
locations only — except for archery elk OTC licenses and plains elk OTC licenses,
which can be purchased at any authorized sales agent. These are available to both resident
and nonresident hunters."

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
To get validated for hunter safety course do they have to be purchased at a CPW office or can any retailer validate?

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to point out that this is only valid for archery hunts. Rifle and I'm assuming muzzleloader can only be purchased at a CPW office after the season starts.

From the regs:

"OTC licenses are unlimited in number and may be purchased any time until the day
before the hunting season begins. After the season starts, they are available at CPW
locations only — except for archery elk OTC licenses and plains elk OTC licenses,
which can be purchased at any authorized sales agent. These are available to both resident
and nonresident hunters."

5MilesBack is referring to the refund policy. In order to get a full refund or have your preference points restored, you must turn in your tag at least 30 days before the opening day of the season your tag is good for. Archery opens Aug 25, so it is too late if you have an archery tag.