Siskiyou, CA Bull Elk

elledge

FNG
Hey all. I’m brand new here and looking for some advice! I was recently drawn for a bull elk in CA, I couldn’t believe it either. This will be my first elk hunt and I don’t know the area very well. I just got back from scouting for 4 days and the smoke from the Klamathon fire made for zero glassing opportunities. I’m sure the newer fires aren’t going to help much and I’m not sure if it will change the hunt completely. However, I did hike around a lot, saw deer mountain, areas near Tennant, Ball mountain. I saw some scat, thought I heard some cows in the early morning in one area near Ball mountain. I’m just trying to gather as much information as I can to give 110% to this hunt. Basically I’m a new guy, that won the lottery, that’s in way over his head and cant afford a guide. If anyone has any pointers or information for me I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Based on the number of fires...I would turn in the tag and hope you draw it next year.

All joking aside I would contact the biologist. I have a friend who drew the tag just west of you last year and I believe he got info from his biologist.

Rowengartner: having lived in California for a couple years in college, I’ve also learned in that state they refuse to use the word “game” in the department’s name so as not to offend the large population of the state that would find the idea of animals being hunted deplorable. They’re the Department of Fish and Wildlife. Totally useless piece of information, I realize.

Good luck on your tag!

kickemall

WKR
I can't speak for the Siskiyou hunt but over here the ranchers are over run with elk and want them off their land so don't hesitate to talk to private land owners. Many of them will want a fee but there is a good chance that some won't and just want to get rid of as many as they can. Don't waste that tag, they don't come easy.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
There are a couple herds around. I know a lot of the Siskiyou tags get filled on private ground. Where are you located? What are the dates? I’m local to the area and not gonna make it out during archery elk this year. If you want a hand pm me.

530Chukar

WKR
I’m very framiliar with the X1 area. We have a cabin out there and have hunted deer in there for the last 20 years. I can tell you that your best chances are he west end of the unit. There’s a pretty large gap between the herds. You’re in the right place if your looking at mountHebron and ball mountain. I know there’s a SHARE hunt on a ranch out of montague. I’d scout the public that is closest to that. It does seem to be a very popular area with people that do draw the tag. There are a lot of elk on Bear Mountain but it falls just inside the North Eastern unit. I would bet that there are elk on Black Fox mountain as it’s the most prominent peak in that area and it is just inside the Siskiyou unit. Haven’t seen much for elk between black fox and the 97 corridor but there’s been sightings. That is also where there were taking photos of the Shasta Wolves. Shoot me a PM if you’ve got anymore specific questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all. I’m brand new here and looking for some advice! I was recently drawn for a bull elk in CA, I couldn’t believe it either. This will be my first elk hunt and I don’t know the area very well. I just got back from scouting for 4 days and the smoke from the Klamathon fire made for zero glassing opportunities. I’m sure the newer fires aren’t going to help much and I’m not sure if it will change the hunt completely. However, I did hike around a lot, saw deer mountain, areas near Tennant, Ball mountain. I saw some scat, thought I heard some cows in the early morning in one area near Ball mountain. I’m just trying to gather as much information as I can to give 110% to this hunt. Basically I’m a new guy, that won the lottery, that’s in way over his head and cant afford a guide. If anyone has any pointers or information for me I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Hey! How’d your elk hunt go last year? I’m just headed up to scout for this year’s hunt and am new to the area too! I’d love hear any learnings you had from your hunt and hope you were able to fill your tag! Cheers, Heather

OP
E

elledge

FNG
Hey! How’d your elk hunt go last year? I’m just headed up to scout for this year’s hunt and am new to the area too! I’d love hear any learnings you had from your hunt and hope you were able to fill your tag! Cheers, Heather

Hi Heather,

I was unsuccessful in my hunt but it was freaking amazing. I stayed out there the entire season and it was a lot of long days. If you talk to the wildlife biologist, he is awesome, he will point you in the right direction near a giant piece of private property. The public land around there has elk in it, park far away and walk into the middle, there are a bunch of road hunters. Sneak in early and stay quiet, keep a close eye on the wind.

Get OnX maps, find the companies that own the most amount of land out there. Reach out to them and they will go over the rules, which are basically common sense, and keep the email with you...you have to have written permission on your person if you are hunting private land. It might be too late to contact other private landowners.

Good luck!