Colorado Leftover

Bulldawg

WKR
So I pose this hypothetical,

Next year, system is upgraded to to the same level of Amazon, and will be lighting fast, very streamlined, click and buy! When that happens, what will you complain about when you still don't get that high demand tag that you you feel so entitled to?

topher89

WKR

Next year, system is upgraded to to the same level of Amazon, and will be lighting fast, very streamlined, click and buy! When that happens, what will you complain about when you still don't get that high demand tag that you you feel so entitled to?

Same guys will be pissed because all the tags will be gone by 9:05...

Yeah... the system isn't rigged. Just like the McDonald's Monopoly wasn't...!

Just kidding. But I don't even bother going for the top tier tags. Somebody else is far luckier than I.

ckleeves

WKR
Definitely frustrating but its not rigged. Some guys win and get in quick, others don't. Its just the way it is

Exactly. My wife and I were sitting next to each other, on the same WIFI, logged in at the same time etc. I got through and she didn’t. No idea why but that’s how it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah we had 6 people on different computers (and networks). Some got right in, some got in and then crashed, some never made it in. But I guess that is what I expected. They should have kept it like in years past where it doesn't go online sales until the next day. Gives us residents a very slight advantage and causes less panic. Most of us got our tags but it wasn't purchased and done till 45 mins later so or.

I got in and had a tag for my 13 yr old in the cart and tried to check out for about 20 minutes. I had his hunter safety information in, but it kept asking for mandatory fields of City and state that were not there. I tried three different times, but could never get it to work or even see the required fields it wanted me to fill in. Never did get past that screen. Close, but no cigar.

Tank76

FNG
Same story here... my buddy and I didn’t draw but there were left overs in the unit we’ve hunted the last couple of years. He was in CA and I was in AL neither one of us we’re able to get in until
9:22 by then they were gone. Is it the same crap shoot standing in line? I’m a NR but thought about flying out next year if there were better odds.

ckleeves

WKR
Same story here... my buddy and I didn’t draw but there were left overs in the unit we’ve hunted the last couple of years. He was in CA and I was in AL neither one of us we’re able to get in until
9:22 by then they were gone. Is it the same crap shoot standing in line? I’m a NR but thought about flying out next year if there were better odds.

I really don’t know if I would fly out or not. Your tying up some decent money for who knows what odds. If you fail online it’s not really a big deal. Flying out you have some skin in the game if it doesn’t work. And many times it doesn’t. I think next year there is going to be a lot more competition in person, and your banking on the person operating the license machine being fast, being first or second in line, etc. You can be second in line and only after 10 minutes do you realize the guy ahead of you is trying to get licenses for his entire extended family. Now it’s 9:12 and your 10 minutes away from another agent.

I think I guy has to look at the leftover/reissue licenses as a chance to get a license he wouldn’t normally get. That’s it. A fun (and frustrating) way to MAYBE get a good tag.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is it the same crap shoot standing in line? I’m a NR but thought about flying out next year if there were better odds.

I was first in line at the place I was at and didn't get a tag until 9:12 because the system crashed immediately. It always seems to crash at the "residency" screen, and gives a "can't verify residency" blurb and then shuts the system down, and they have to restart it. And even after passing the residency screen, they enter the tag info and then you get the little circle going round and round for minutes before it does anything. And even then they have to click on "procure the tag" and then you get the circle for several more minutes. By that time all the prime tags are gone and you settle for 2nd tier leftovers.

ahlgringo

WKR
Seems like everyone on here has about the same story. Myself- tried logging in, couldnt, finally did at 939, all 147 tags gone.

Anyway- i would love to hear from someone that actually was successful at a premium tag on the list. Was it just dumb luck, faster connection? Better location (in person)?

I absolutely respect, trust, and believe in the fairness of CPW but would just like to learn how to better play the game

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I absolutely respect, trust, and believe in the fairness of CPW but would just like to learn how to better play the game

That's part of the hunt, which makes this process fun. Learning techniques, strategies, playing the game, what you're willing to endure.......just like hunting. And just like hunting, the unexpected sometimes happens.......or the negatives (wind shifts). But after the last three years, the system crashing has become an "expected" now. That changes the game, so we have to plan for that as well. But hard to get around that one. The entire state system was down last year for about an hour after it started. Just something else to work around.

vanish

WKR
There's a good explanation of what happened during the commission meeting from 10 days ago. CPW uses a company called Aspira to build their web system. A missing index on a database table caused the website connections to queue, and when the queue got too large, to lock up. They added the index and that's why the site started working at about 9:30. CPW Commissioners laid into the company pretty hard.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, but it will crash next year too.......just as it always does. Not sure they have enough server space or system speed for all those Point of Sale sites and everyone trying online at the same time.

That's part of the hunt, which makes this process fun. Learning techniques, strategies, playing the game, what you're willing to endure.......just like hunting. And just like hunting, the unexpected sometimes happens.......or the negatives (wind shifts). But after the last three years, the system crashing has become an "expected" now. That changes the game, so we have to plan for that as well. But hard to get around that one. The entire state system was down last year for about an hour after it started. Just something else to work around.

That doesn't explain why it would not let me purchase a second B tag in addition the the one I got in the draw. By the time that problem was fixed, the tag I wanted was gone.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That doesn't explain why it would not let me purchase a second B tag in addition the the one I got in the draw. By the time that problem was fixed, the tag I wanted was gone.

Ya, and it wouldn't let me buy any tag at the start because it was telling me that the system couldn't verify my residency. I've been a resident for life.....53 years. It does the same thing to my daughter the very first time she tries to get a tag......."can't verify residency". Then after logging in again and trying again the exact same way the first time.......it goes through and tells you "tag not available". Of course it's not available........it took 5 minutes to restart everything and get back in again, instead of going right to the tag page like it should. Three years ago we went to three different places every Tuesday morning when those tags came available, and each time it said the same "can't verify" thing the first time her info was entered........just like it did for me this year. These are obviously different problems than the system completely crashing, but irritating regardless. Plenty of things for them to fix.

ahlgringo

WKR

I would be totally content knowing everyone had an even playing field. The problem and the frustration this year as well as most is that some people can access, some cannot. I cannot find a common thread to those that were successful or non successful, thats the problem. I was not seeking a "high demand" tag, there were 147 tags available, but I was locked out of the system for 40 minutes and by that time, they were gone.

Thomas11

WKR
I would be totally content knowing everyone had an even playing field. The problem and the frustration this year as well as most is that some people can access, some cannot. I cannot find a common thread to those that were successful or non successful, thats the problem. I was not seeking a "high demand" tag, there were 147 tags available, but I was locked out of the system for 40 minutes and by that time, they were gone.

What’s amazing is they were gone that quick! It seems to me they went faster this yr than previous yrs

ericF

WKR
What’s amazing is they were gone that quick! It seems to me they went faster this yr than previous yrs

It makes sense. This year is the first year they had both internet sales and phone/kiosk sales at the same time. They probably quadrupled the number of people trying to buy tags with the additional online sales. Even with the issues that they had online, the increased number of people made the tags go quicker.

vanish

WKR
I don't have the exact numbers, but in the commissioners meeting they said something to the tune of 1200 tags sold in the first 30 minutes via in-person, 54 in the first 30 minutes via phone, and then 10,000 in the second 30 minutes, when people could actually purchase online.

Thomas11

WKR
It makes sense. This year is the first year they had both internet sales and phone/kiosk sales at the same time. They probably quadrupled the number of people trying to buy tags with the additional online sales. Even with the issues that they had online, the increased number of people made the tags go quicker.
Yea I didn’t take that into account. Prolly very true.