Can someone with no tag carry my spare rifle?

Mike7

WKR
Or just have your gunbearer buy a cheap predator tag? While on a backpack wilderness archery elk hunt in Oregon with friends in the past, it seemed that every group was packing a rifle, so anyone who tagged out on elk with a bow could then sit a gut pile to wait for bears. Amazingly (sarcasm), there was no rash of people slaughtering elk in the rut with those rifles.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes its fine, carry a rifle, shotgun, pistol, whatever you want. The right to carry on public land does not become illegal just because a hunting season is open and you don't have a tag.

If you are participating in a hunt it most surely may. Like I posted earlier, it is written into the regulations in South Dakota. Now you can argue all day about your Second Amendment Rights!, but the GW may see it differently.

What about the guys who are guides? Do they have to have a tag to carry a rifle? What about hunting coyotes? Can you hunt coyotes year round without having to have an elk/deer tag in your possession?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What about hunting coyotes? Can you hunt coyotes year round without having to have an elk/deer tag in your possession?

Coyotes are small game and the regulations on small game hunting west of I25 in Colorado are very clear on the matter, no grey area on that one. Unless you have an unfilled big game tag you can not hunt small game with a caliber over .23 during the big game seasons.

Last edited:

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
So I have kind of had a similar confusion with carrying a gun and not having a license to shoot anything with that gun... In Iowa, until last season, you cannot have a pistol with you/on your person/pack, etc.. while out hunting during bow season, even if you HAVE your concealed carry permit. It is legal to have it if you do not have a bow tag but DO have your concealed carry permit. So I could carry my gun on my person from the house, to the store, get gas, etc. but need to take it off when I get to the public ground I am hunting at, BUT someone who is just out for a walk on public ground does not need to take his gun off his person. There is not a threat of bears and lions like out west but there have been instances where I have come across suspicious folks on public, and private ground for that matter, and have wanted my handgun on me. This all changed last year but it really confused me.

Long story short: if two people are on public ground and both have their concealed carry permit and also have a pistol they are carrying, it would be illegal if you also have an archery tag but legal if you do NOT have a tag

jspradley

WKR
That's an extra 6-10lb depending on the rifle...that's a lot of weight for a low risk of "what if" IMO

Honestly, as was said before if your rifle is that unreliable then I'd ditch it for something better.

LaHunter

WKR
Leave the spare rifle and 2 of the 3 buddies at home. At most, bring 1 non hunting buddy. You stated in the OP that this will be your first elk hunt. Will this be your first western hunt in mountains? How about the 3 buddies, have any of them been elk hunting? 4 guys is a LOT of commotion / noise tromping through the hills.

If you are participating in a hunt it most surely may. Like I posted earlier, it is written into the regulations in South Dakota. Now you can argue all day about your Second Amendment Rights!, but the GW may see it differently.

I was charged with hunting without a license in South Dakota a while back in a similar situation.

Drove down to SD from Fargo with a college buddy who was a SD resident to pick up a load of decoys from a family friend. While there, we noted a bunch of ducks in a slough near the friends house. We decided to try and sit in the cattails so my buddy could try to shoot a few. I grabbed my shotgun because his was consistently jamming and I was a dumb college kid who was was proud that my $300 870 didn't jam. After sitting down we saw a game warden drive by but didn't notice them drop one of the wardens in a tree grove with a spotting scope. He observed as my friend shot at ducks and I walked around to the opposite end of the slough (left my shotgun with friend) to push them up so all the incoming birds wouldn't land there. At some point they saw me holding my shotgun. I never fired, shouldered, or had ammunition on me but was still charged. We had to go to an ATM to pull cash for a fee to avoid them confiscating my shotgun. I contested the charges, did not hire an attorney and they eventually dropped the charges. It wasn't worth the headache.

K_pem

WKR
Obviously it seems that buying a bear tag is the best answer (or wolf if available!!), the second best being leaving the rifle at truck/camp/ect. I think its interesting the amount of people thinking it to be a problem. During rifle season i carry the rifle for my GF loaded and all beings as im a heck of a lot more responsible with it and its my rifle!! Lol. Additionally, when hunting in grizz country i would carry a .44 mag, theres plenty of guys taking elk with that exact gun, does that mean its somehow illegal? A good friend of mine lives in Alaska, and when hunting with people regularly carries a brush gun or a 870 with slugs. Id think depending on the situation and explaining the logistics a GW would be hard pressed to charge you with anything that would stick, not to say he wouldnt cause a fuss and a headache thats not worth it.

If your dead set on carrying it with you, id do what the one retired GW said and remove the bolt/mag, those can quickly be popped back in, in the event of a failure. Seems no different than having someone carry spare arrows or a backup release for you in archery.

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
Bring the spare rifle. Mechanical stuff fails and a gun is just that. Hell we carry jumper cables,tire chains, spare tires etc. leave the gun in camp or in the truck. Having it stolen is a chance u take. If your buddy wants to haul a rifle around in the mountains of Colorado he can buy a tag. This question should not have gone for 4 pages. If u want a 2a fight please do it somewhere else closer to home. Last thing I need is a bunch more people stomping around the backcountry arguing gun rights. Oh yeah, if anyone sees a truck at the trailhead with an Alabama plate there is a rifle in it or in his camp. There are turds that troll these forums that may pick up on that.your question is like the one about cutting corners in public sections. Don't do it it is not right no matter how you can justify it in your mind.

sndmn11

WKR
Bring the spare rifle. Mechanical stuff fails and a gun is just that. Hell we carry jumper cables,tire chains, spare tires etc. leave the gun in camp or in the truck. Having it stolen is a chance u take. If your buddy wants to haul a rifle around in the mountains of Colorado he can buy a tag. This question should not have gone for 4 pages. If u want a 2a fight please do it somewhere else closer to home. Last thing I need is a bunch more people stomping around the backcountry arguing gun rights. Oh yeah, if anyone sees a truck at the trailhead with an Alabama plate there is a rifle in it or in his camp. There are turds that troll these forums that may pick up on that.your question is like the one about cutting corners in public sections. Don't do it it is not right no matter how you can justify it in your mind.

Laws come about because folks want to impose their ethics and morals upon others. There is not a law against carrying a firearm during a hunting season. Is there a law against hunting small game (coyotes referenced above) with a bigger then .23cal firearm during a big game season with out a big game tag? There sure is, it is easy to find, and that fact provides support that the action in the original question is legal. I agree this should not have gone on for four pages, the simple answer is his buddy does not need to buy a license because there is no law preventing a person who can legally possess a firearm doing so in a place where firearms can be possessed.

KSP277

WKR
I agree this should never went this far, BUT, would definitely like to hear what happens if your buddy doesn’t buy a tag or License and carrys a gun around and y’all bump into a game warden. Just outta curiosity.

Take the bolt out and you carry the bolt and ammo, your partner carries the rifle with no bolt or ammo. As a retired federal wildlife LE officer I would have no problem with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was going to say this, but saw it was already said.

So... this.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. It is best practice to have the non-license holder only carry a handgun/pistol. If he/she is carrying another hunter's rifle it can appear to the officer that your friend is hunting without a license. Which can take a lot of daylight away from the hunt just trying to explain that he/she is there to help not hunt. I would suggest just having them carrying a handgun or pistol for protection.

If you have additional questions please use the information below.

Thank you and make today great day.

GotDraw?

WKR
SOME Laws come about because SOME folks lack and will never have morals, ethics and conscience.

Laws come about because folks want to impose their ethics and morals upon others. There is not a law against carrying a firearm during a hunting season. Is there a law against hunting small game (coyotes referenced above) with a bigger then .23cal firearm during a big game season with out a big game tag? There sure is, it is easy to find, and that fact provides support that the action in the original question is legal. I agree this should not have gone on for four pages, the simple answer is his buddy does not need to buy a license because there is no law preventing a person who can legally possess a firearm doing so in a place where firearms can be possessed.

GotDraw?

WKR
Thank god, a definitive and authoritative answer.

FINALLY

Put a bullet in it and close this thread, it was pretty much a complete waste of everyone's time and could have been solved with one phone call.

JL

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. It is best practice to have the non-license holder only carry a handgun/pistol. If he/she is carrying another hunter's rifle it can appear to the officer that your friend is hunting without a license. Which can take a lot of daylight away from the hunt just trying to explain that he/she is there to help not hunt. I would suggest just having them carrying a handgun or pistol for protection.

If you have additional questions please use the information below.

Thank you and make today great day.

204guy

WKR
Definitive answer? Let me translate it. -We don't like people carrying guns around that don't have a hunting license but legally there's nothing we can do about it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk