Intentionally Camping near other hunters

I spent 4 days last weekend scouting a new area to me in a WY general unit. All areas flat enough to camp are where I observed and/or anticipate elk activity near creeks or at 9-10k peaks. There is one decent area near a trail 6 miles in that seems like a decent spot but i expect traffic and possibly other camps there. I got to thinking if I saw another camp there that I might set up shop nearby and try to communicate with them so we could avoid burning more area with camp sites or hunting the same ground day to day.

Anyone ever done something similar? I have not had to worry about this in the past.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
if you can not talk to them first and make sure they are OK with it then give them space.
I hate it when there are hundreds of acres to camp on and someone sets up with in a few hundred yards of me whether I am hunting or not.
If they are in camp when you wander by then talk and perhaps it will all be cool.
All you need is a 4x8 flat area under a tree to make a fine camp if you are solo

PNWGATOR

WKR
Nothing wrong with that. Go talk with whoever is close and have a great time and hunt your plan.

Misread original post. For some reason I was thinking trailhead. I would not set up in the backcountry next to another camp. I’d certainly stop and introduce myself and get a feel for things and go from there.

Last edited:
I’d be pissed if you did that to me. I don’t backpack out to the middle of nowhere to hang out with people I don’t know like it’s a state park campsite. Obviously, anyone has just as much right to hunt the area as I do, and if you’re camped out of earshot/sight it wouldn’t bother me.

If you see someone in camp I think it’s fine to walk over and talk about where everyone plans to hunt, or leave a note. However, if multiple elk are bugling in one area I wouldn’t excpect everyone to stick to their “agreement”.

md126

WKR
It’s like walking in and sitting right next to someone in an empty movie theater. Awkward

Personally I like to get away from people when I’m in the backcountry

Beendare

WKR
Nothing worse than being in the backcountry and having guys plop their tent down within 70 yds of you......

Talk about wrecking a backcountry experience. We were 9 miles into a Co wilderness a few years ago and had 2 groups of guys set up shop 70yds away on both sides of us....sheesh.

Yeah, yeah....I know its public ground.....

you see, I'm thinking of them not me......I hate to subject anyone to seeing my pasty white old man azz buck naked taking a bath in the creek mid day but its their choice.

And yeah I snicker a little............ when they catch a glimpse of me sunning on a rock and hiding their eyes.....

mproberts

WKR
Yeah, yeah....I know its public ground..... you see, I'm thinking of them not me......I hate to subject anyone to seeing my pasty white old man azz buck naked taking a bath in the creek mid day but its their choice.

I think there's a law against that.... if there isn't there should be! :eek:

CX5Ranch

WKR
I wouldn't mind, actually I would enjoy making a plan with nearby hunters. I might be able to con them in to helping me carry some antlers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

njdoxie

WKR
I prefer not camping close to other people and I like to keep an open mind on where I'll be hunting, not have it dictated by some well meaning other hunter. I prefer not seeing anyone while camping and hunting and if someone ask me where I'm hunting, I'd say idk, depends.

In all fairness I should add, I've met some good folks in CO out hunting, but in an ideal world I don't see any other hunters or camps.

Last edited:
OP
wind gypsy
I prefer not camping close to other people and I like to keep an open mind on where I'll be hunting, not have it dictated by some well meaning other hunter. I prefer not seeing anyone while camping and hunting and if someone ask me where I'm hunting, I'd say idk, depends.

Makes sense but how would you feel about me camping above the herd you planned to hunt the next day and letting the thermals waft my stench to them all night instead?

SWOHTR

WKR
I see both sides but my first thought when I see someone else in the backcountry is never “OMG GREAT! Maybe we can work together!”

It’s usually “dammit” followed by some misguided thoughts of “I own this place, GTFO.” (Yes I know that’s not true...but I can still think it).

It has also been my experience that most people want the same: to be left alone. I also encounter the typical selfish people, or people who think and execute differently than I do. I also don’t want to diminish someone else’s chances for success if I do something dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year we had a travel trailer pull in next to our base camp and asked if he could camp right with us, we kindly told him we were leaven tomorrow around noon and he could have the spot. My guess there would be a generator running all night.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I dont mind talking to a group but usually everybody's sheepish about giving up info and plans. At least early on in a season. I don’t want to camp within sight of another camp. Im talking about forested land. I prefer not to hear another camp either but if its reasonable I dont mind much.

K_pem

WKR
I wouldnt camp near someone intentionally. As others have mentioned, a lot of people have the idea of solitude when choosing their campsites... Now if you happen to run into them and touch bases in order to formulate a plan to both stay out of eachothers way and also to team up in the event you get something down, i think that would be awesome.

Im not saying though if youve had a campsite picked out for awhile and go in and someone is camped near it that you shouldnt camp where you intended.

Not to threadjack but im curious of the people posting here of a flip side. If you see that someone has at some point in time, on public land, set up a camp in a prime spot (via old fire pit, garbage, wood, crossmember in trees and clothing line twine) that you also have scouted out for a camp, would you go in and camp there come opening day (assuming you got there first) knowing that, that person could potentially show up?

I know my opinion. Just curious what others might think beings its a similar topic.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
If there were other reasonable sites near by then I would not. but if its about the only decent site in the area then yea I would. till they show up. They may have set up camp for the next season. Leave a note saying you will leave when they show up. that would not bother me if the tables were turned. If I set camp early I leave a note by my tent letting folks know when I will be back.

Last edited: