Scenario - Wearing orange while archery elk hunting?

cnelk

WKR
This is my situation this fall in Colorado.

1 - I will have an archery elk license - season dates 8/25/18 -- 9/23/18

2 - I also have a rifle bear license - season dates 9/2/18 -- 9/30/18

Question:
Am I required to wear orange while I archery hunt elk since I will also be possession of rifle bear tag?

[I asked the CPW this question and I do have an answer from them]

What do I need to do? :)

If you carry the best tag wear orange. If you leave it in the truck you’re fine without. I asked this same question about having a mule deer muzzle loader tag and an archery elk tag simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you carry the best tag wear orange. If you leave it in the truck you’re fine without. I asked this same question about having a mule deer muzzle loader tag and an archery elk tag simultaneously.

This is what I’ve found to be the case from researching as well. A lot of the CO game laws make little sense. Also, if you have a muzzleloader elk tag, you can NOT take an elk with a bow. The same may not be the case for bear, since I don’t believe archery bear tags exist.

Jbehredt

WKR
This is what I’ve found to be the case from researching as well. A lot of the CO game laws make little sense. Also, if you have a muzzleloader elk tag, you can NOT take an elk with a bow. The same may not be the case for bear, since I don’t believe archery bear tags exist.

Archery bear tags do exist. They’re sold otc w/caps as are mz and concurrent rifle tags. Limited rifle tags are sold through the draw. The no bow with a mz tag rule is to keep bow hunters from applying for mz tags that require fewer points than archery in the same units. Otherwise, as I’m sure you know, the rule is “any lesser weapon”. He can fill his rifle bear tag with his bow. Per the regs, he is not required to wear orange if carrying his bow during the limited bear season.

LandYacht

WKR
You don’t need orange unless you are carrying your rifle. You can hunt the bear, with your bow, and without orange if you have your unfilled archery tag still.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
You don’t need orange unless you are carrying your rifle. You can hunt the bear, with your bow, and without orange if you have your unfilled archery tag still.

BINGO! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

ChrisAU

WKR
Gotta make sure you can see yourself if you have a rifle. As bass ackwards as most game laws are in the southeast, I do know here that if there is any rifle/ml season in season then you have to wear hunter orange, even if archery hunting.

This is some classic CPW. Every person gives us a different answer. What I was told is the following: any lesser weapon (aside from bows during muzzy) is acceptable. But if you are hunting with a “rifle season” tag you need to wear orange regardless of the weapon you are carrying. I asked in person to a warden in the Steamboat field office about two years ago.

016c8105b4e83120fe43dcd605507047.png

“With any firearm license” is the language in the req. I’d be wary.

So what about this.

I have a 16yr old with a ML Elk tag and a 14yr old with an OTC Archery Tag. Good chance we are all hunting together at the same time. Does one need orange and the other one don't? That is how I read it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So what about this.

I have a 16yr old with a ML Elk tag and a 14yr old with an OTC Archery Tag. Good chance we are all hunting together at the same time. Does one need orange and the other one don't? That is how I read it.

Can WY folks chime in also here. Someone told me when I was out with my boys for antelope that EVERYONE had to have some orange on during a rifle hunt regardless of who had the tag. I never got around to verifying one way or another, I just made sure they had something on for the rest of the hunt (the WY requirement of a single piece of orange isn't that hard to comply with).

I don’t really get all the conjecture??? Hunting here in SC on National Forest land, I’m not required to wear orange when bow hunting, but have to when rifle hunting. I bow hint during rifle season. Same thing goes for my private land in AL.

The real way to look at this is this: Is the game ( elk, bear, deer, antelope, jackelope) you are seeking going to care if some jackass hits you with a round, whether rifle mzl, or bow season is in on public land.

Not worth it. Put an orange ball cap on and call it a day. Wear orange flag on your pack. Let people see you from a distance. Hell, I’m considering wearing orange duck hunting on public land so I don’t get peppered by dip shits who don’t beat me to the hole.

Just my two cents (sense)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is why the hunter orange requirement makes no sense at all. "I'm carrying the rifle, so I need to be seen"? Why on earth would I need to be seen, if I'm the one carrying the rifle and shooting it? We've got what seems like a zillion non-hunting people out in the woods during hunting season these days, but they aren't required to wear anything specific. Yet the guy with a gun has to be bright orange..........why, so he doesn't get hurt by all those non gun carrying folks? And as long as you're carrying a bow instead of some scary rifle, you're OK not wearing the orange? Makes no sense at all.

It is not the government's job to protect us from ourselves. Leave everyone's own responsibility and accountability up to each individual. Some perceived safety at the expense of liberty is NOT freedom.

I don’t really get all the conjecture??? Hunting here in SC on National Forest land, I’m not required to wear orange when bow hunting, but have to when rifle hunting. I bow hint during rifle season. Same thing goes for my private land in AL.

The real way to look at this is this: Is the game ( elk, bear, deer, antelope, jackelope) you are seeking going to care if some jackass hits you with a round, whether rifle mzl, or bow season is in on public land.

Not worth it. Put an orange ball cap on and call it a day. Wear orange flag on your pack. Let people see you from a distance. Hell, I’m considering wearing orange duck hunting on public land so I don’t get peppered by dip shits who don’t beat me to the hole.

Just my two cents (sense)

Sorry about the tone here. Glen Goyne is a helluva Scotch!!! My thought though is that I'd rather not be part of a tragic event. I'd be more upset and hurt if I accidentally/unknowingly caused harm to someone else than I would be if I was hurt. I'd argue that most folks would feel similarly.

Also, prevention of hunting related injuries (particularly firearm) is also a form of self-preservation against the anti's..... Food for thought. If the non-hunter's wandering the woods during hunting season don't wear orange, that's their problem and their foolishness to wander about during Lead Season.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Food for thought. If the non-hunter's wandering the woods during hunting season don't wear orange, that's their problem and their foolishness to wander about during Lead Season.

It should be everyone's problem.......or choice in the matter.......since the rationale doesn't add up to logical sense.

Just like archery season doesn't require the wearing of orange (or pink now). That doesn't mean that you can't choose to wear it, it just means that it is not required. That's perfect, the way it should be........for every season. If you want to wear it........fine, but you don't have to. Leave it up to the individual to make their own decisions in the matter.