Colorado Archery 2018

Ktex88

FNG
My partner is bailing on me for a trip to Colorado this archery season. Wife is canceling the trip if I can't find another to go with me. If anyone wouldnt mind another meatpacker in camp please let me know. Open to any dates and any OTC locations. Thank you.

hobbes

WKR
Keep the wife, get a new hunting partner. It will be a lot cheaper.

My wife used to worry a lot about me hunting alone in the mountains, but she's gotten used to it now.

Buddies that hunt whitetails and turkeys with you don't always make the best out of state western bowhunting partners.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would it help your cause if the area had decent cell service and not extremely remote? Or get something that uses satellites instead of cell service?

I will never understand why women think that keeping their husbands away from something they love is supposed to be showing how much love and support they have for their husbands. I also understand your commitment to your wife. But, what she is doing is being totally selfish.
I don't imagine anyone is going to offer an invite. No one wants a guy in camp that has a regime he must follow to make a women 1500 miles away happy, that is already extremely unhappy due to that reality. Pack your bags, set her down and tell her what is on your mind. Then go hunting. Good luck man and God Bless

I will never understand why women think that keeping their husbands away from something they love is supposed to be showing how much love and support they have for their husbands. I also understand your commitment to your wife. But, what she is doing is being totally selfish.
I don't imagine anyone is going to offer an invite. No one wants a guy in camp that has a regime he must follow to make a women 1500 miles away happy, that is already extremely unhappy due to that reality. Pack your bags, set her down and tell her what is on your mind. Then go hunting. Good luck man and God Bless

I get what you’re saying here, because that’s how I feel about it. But, you gotta think about what the wife is worried about first before saying she is selfish. Let’s say this guy has never done this before. The wife is worried about one thing: him being safe and getting home in one piece. He has potentially 1000 miles or more to drive, then at least a few days hiking in elevation that he may or may not be ready for. Both of those things are inherently a little dangerous, and he is combining them into one trip. She might be saying this so that she has a husband left at the end of it. In her eyes, it may just be a hobby that isn’t worth potentially getting injured for.

Either that or she’s just selfish. 😂

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
My wife would prob say it’s not a good idea but knowing I’m hard headed would just ask I up my life ins policy!

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
No campfires in Colorado this year -PLEASE.
If a person can not follow their passion due to insecurities of their partner then the relationship has no chance of lasting.
Go hunting

OP
K

Ktex88

FNG
I have twin two year olds so I understand her concern with my safety. She's usually very supportive of my ideas but a solo trip for my first one isn't sitting well.

All great suggestions guys I appreciate the input. I'll keep working on the solo trip but if anyone else has a similar issue feel free to PM me.

I get what you’re saying here, because that’s how I feel about it. But, you gotta think about what the wife is worried about first before saying she is selfish. Let’s say this guy has never done this before. The wife is worried about one thing: him being safe and getting home in one piece. He has potentially 1000 miles or more to drive, then at least a few days hiking in elevation that he may or may not be ready for. Both of those things are inherently a little dangerous, and he is combining them into one trip. She might be saying this so that she has a husband left at the end of it. In her eyes, it may just be a hobby that isn’t worth potentially getting injured for.

Either that or she’s just selfish. 😂

You might be right. It, likely you are wrong. At least in my way of thinking. Because she doesn’t likely protest when her husband gets up drives to work to support his family. Likely doesn’t have a problem with them driving to a family vacation. Etc. it boils down to selfishness on her part. I don’t mean that in a bad way nor am I talking bad about her. It’s just the way it is. And it’s as common as it isn’t. The only real issue is Whether it’s allowed to be an issue.

What's a hunting partner going to do that a satellite messenger can't. Let's say worst case scenario you break a leg, the time it takes someone to get down the mountain back into cell service or town to get help and back to you will take just as long. Explain the reality of it. He's not going to carry you off the mountain. What's she worried about, getting lost-GPS, predators-gun/spray. I see 70yr old women hiking the trails solo 5 miles back with nothing more than water and there's plenty of elk between there and the road. This "buddy" system thing has ruined far to many hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Man some of you guys read words totally different, I read it that his wife is worried about him going alone which isn't selfish, it's being loving and worried about his safety! My wife is my elk hunting partner so I'm pretty fortunate, I have had a satellite messenger though since they became more affordable and that greatly eases her mind when she can't go! To the OP, use this as an excuse to get an Inreach satellite messenger and try to coerce her with that!

CX5Ranch

WKR
I work my tail off all year long stacking cash in the bank and taking care of things around here. I up the ante about a month before I leave. She usually doesn't have to do a thing. I clean house, whoop the kids good, set things up that need done, get people to feed for me, etc. Its like I'm never gone to her.

She knows that when i load those horses and head west it's my time. She doesn't ask questions about how much it costs or if I'm safe. She trusts me with everything I do. She has no reason not to.

I find that a lot of guys who cant do all that have trust issues at home. Whether its him or her there's more to the story.

And some guys baby their wives. To the point she has no security anymore. She cant stand it to be alone.

And some guys are scared to go so they make excuses why they cant go. Wife wont let em, ain't got the dough, ain't got the time blah blah blah.

They all get the same answer from me....I'm not gonna wake up one day when I'm 75 years old with a bank account full of cash and say "I could have done that!"

To the OP, I'm not saying you have any of these problems but am guessing you fall in there somewhere. If you aren't robbing diapers off the kids then pack your bags, kiss your wife, and tell her you'll be back in a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bulldawg

WKR
Heck your wife should be happy for you to go hunting solo, you’d most likely be coming home earlier than if you were with your buddy! She’ll get to see you sooner

Just make sure the life insurance is paid for and go! She’ll be ok with it, just need to break it down for her and tell her the dangers and what you’re doing to mitigate that and how you’re going to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being worried is not selfish but stopping him from going may be. I really don't understand it. My wife is worried but she trusts me to make good choices. I don't do things I feel will put me in an unacceptable amount of danger. If it is first time and he is solo maybe don't hike in 5 miles. The drive is probably more dangerous that the hunt.

I worked with a guy who always had questions about where and when to go hunting. I would give him suggestions of places he could try. Sometimes he bought a tag, but he never went. It was always some version of his wife said 'no'. It was kind of commical, this whole big build-up of planning while I knew he wasn't going anywhere but home.

Every day in the truck this character would call his wife and ask how her day was going. That's pretty normal. Here's the kicker. The first call was about 7:30am, he hadn't even been gone for an hour... And her name would come up on his phone screen as "Princess."

Tell your lady where you're going and when you'll be back. Touch base occasionally while you're away if it's feasible. If not, too bad. You're probably home most of the year.