Any suggestions on a UNIT in CO...?

Going OTC Archery CO....Unit(s) 28 and 38. First year....so if you give me your HONEY HOLE I wouldn't know the difference so shoot str8 and I will be appreciative of your advice. I am gun shy of posting this forum....I have seen MANY ops get ripped for asking for help. Thanks for reading.

Beendare

WKR
I have to say, I've hunted over 10 OTC units in Co alone....and I don't think there is much difference between them. Sure topography varies but he elk are there....you just have to find them. If you go in there thinking, "They should be right here" ...you will probably be disappointed.

Seriously; Throw a dart bro....and go burn some boot leather.

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
Pick one and go! Every otc unit in Colorado holds a ton of elk. There may be guys that suggest a unit or point you in a direction but it's because its across the state from where they hunt. No one that takes elk hunting seriously is going to give away spots they know hold elk to a total stranger on an online forum. Or maybe I'm the only one:)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have to say, I've hunted over 10 OTC units in Co alone....and I don't think there is much difference between them. Sure topography varies but he elk are there....you just have to find them. If you go in there thinking, "They should be right here" ...you will probably be disappointed.

Seriously; Throw a dart bro....and go burn some boot leather.

Great advice. Same with the next post.

I want to stand corrected. I will never trash or, say one thing about guys ripping others for posts like this. I have been hard on some of you guys. I am sorry and, have learned that you were right for feeling the way you do. It blows my mind that a person has the nad's to get on a internet forum and ask such a question. Unbelievable really.

CX5Ranch

WKR
They're right if there are mountains there are elk. Just gotta find them like everyone else did.

And I have to say I am tired of the ripping on here too. I have had some awesome information handed over via PM's. And have given some out as well I hope.

The reason guys do the ripping is because it's not like deer hunting. Where your buddy says he saw 30 deer in a bean field last night and you saw 15. And he's your neighbor. Elk aren't like that.

You tell someone you saw 30 elk and it will look light Walmart parking lot on the side of that mountain. For one because they can be hard to find. They're not behind every tree like a whitetail in Missouri. And two, when you find one there is usually a lot more.

Boots on the ground, hard work, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Just don't ask stupid questions. That's all I got. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
B
I appreciate guys. As stated....I dont want your honey hole as stated I WOULD'NT know either way. I guess I didnt put in PM me to be more private. If you have EXPERIENCE is what I was asking. thanks.

oldgoat

WKR
Just don't pass up a legal elk and go find them! OTC units vary greatly from year to year, only thing I have for you is check for closures via the national Forest webpage for the forest you're going too, as of a week ago I was told there were road closures in 28 due to Sugarloaf Fire, I didn't verify myself but trust the guy to know.

Poser

WKR
I always give this advice: pick a unit/terrain that makes you think “I’d like to kill an elk in that country right there” and go with it. You can’t predict or control what the elk do or where they will be. Hunt in country that you like and find the elk.

Thomas11

WKR
Well I think u can do some research on diff units etc and maybe narrow your options based on lots of criteria. I would never just pick a unit and go. But what has been above said does hold some truths. Eventually u just gotta pick a spot and go. Most all units have elk but do plenty research on diff units and make the best educated guess. U can learn a lot of info just from y computer before killing your self in the mountains just to find out you r hunting their winter grounds and all the elk are in a adjoining unit during your hunt because it’s early season or a number of other factors, that’s all I’m saying. Maybe u pick two or three units u like and use this trip as a scouting/hunting trip if u have a couple weeks

What Thomas is saying is true for sure. There are lots of criteria out there you can research before you go. I like to look at success rates for the season you are hunting. That can tell you a lot by it's self especially if you can see those figures over several years. Keep in mind a good outfitter in the area can skew those numbers as well as areas with private lands that most cannot access so keep that in mind. Biologist comments are helpful. How thick or open is the area you will be hunting? No sense in carrying a spotting scope if you can't see a hundred yards. Keeping your gear organized helps a lot. Some of that is as simple as always putting your most used items in the same pocket every time. Be prepared to move. Have multiple plan B's. Don't be afraid to get off the trail some. You won't always find a lot of sign on a trail. You can often walk and walk during the day and not see a single Elk even when they are there as they are generally bedded during most of the day but they will get up to drink ocassionaly during the day. You need to be near where they are very early and late in the day. This may require you to pack in. Otherwise if you are hiking in from a distant camp you have to generally be on your way back to camp to beat nightfall before they start moving or you are trying to walk miles in the dark in the Am trying to get near where they are at daylight. Sometimes you can smell them but when you do it's usually their bed's you smell. When you do smell them it's best to back out but note where you smell them. You don't really want to disturb their bedding area as you could push them out and if you do they could move miles away and not come back.
If you do find a good area it will likely be a good area years to come so long as it has food and water nearby and not become plagued by fire, drought, disease, preadators or humans. Often a area that had a fire a previous year makes a good place to start your search. Bugling - Sometimes Elk won't bugle much in some areas before the 15th of September but there are exceptions. I was in Colorado one time in September and wasn't hearing a single bugle. I had hiked several miles up and into an area and was heading back to my Landcruiser as it was starting to get dark. I was still a couple miles from the vehicle when it got dark and all of a sudden bugles were coming from every direction! It was amazing. Unfortunately it was to late to shoot anything and I couldn't see them anyway but I never heard since then so many elk bugling at the same time and some were very close to me. Strangely, there wasn't a single bugle till it got dark and too late to hunt that day!