5 Days

Elk season opens here in Utah Sat. 5 long days until I am up at elev. Excited is understatement. Have a new guy who has never hunted, and is going with. It will be his 1st ever hunt and first bow hunt. I have been working with him since April, and done as much as I hoped since then to prepare him.
We hiked in a couple weeks back and checked the camera and built him a ground blind, and he was giddy. The reality for him is setting in.
I remember my first hunt, first punched tag and first pack out.
So glad I have never lost that thrill.

He has no idea what fun is waiting for him up there.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Elk season opens here in Utah Sat. 5 long days until I am up at elev. Excited is understatement. Have a new guy who has never hunted, and is going with. It will be his 1st ever hunt and first bow hunt. I have been working with him since April, and done as much as I hoped since then to prepare him.
We hiked in a couple weeks back and checked the camera and built him a ground blind, and he was giddy. The reality for him is setting in.
I remember my first hunt, first punched tag and first pack out.
So glad I have never lost that thrill.

He has no idea what fun is waiting for him up there.

My first true elk hunt begins in 20 days. Anticipation is killing me and I am beyond excited, rifle hunting here in BC Zand the regs say it has to be a 6 point bull.

Best of luck to you in 5 days, hope to see an update with success for you and your crew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I'm right there with you, stoked to go chase deer and elk. Hoping to put arrows in the air fast this year!

OP
mfllood3800
This is awesome guys, good luck to you all. Don't be afraid to call!

ElkNut/Paul

We sure do appreciate you Paul and all you offer. Reading your elk tips over the past week or so, I often chuckled thinking, "yep, been there done that". I read a lot of "advice" and many feel they bring good info to the table, but often it just isn't real life practical, how ever your info seemed to resonate with much of what I have experienced thru out the years of western elk hunting.

If you are new to elk hunting I highly recommend Elknut1 as valuable resource.

I have an article I keep pondering to write, about the excitement mflood3800 talks about. I get the "honey hole newbie" philosophy here on Rokslide and appreciate it regarding the first post asking for tips in a unit. However, what is not said enough is how often many of us do take another hunter under our wing and help them out. That gets lost in the fray of "that's a lot to ask in your first post" comments.

The first time I took my daughter to my secret elk spot, after making her take the blood oath and signing the appropriate hunting partnership agreement to never to reveal it to another, it was moving to actually show her where elk were harvested in previous years. To explain the story behind "Grandma's Tree" that originated 40 years ago, that was passed on to me 8 years earlier by the man who showed me the area (and gave permission for me to show my daughter the area LOL). To explain why a certain meadow is referred to as Pie Camp and always will be. To explain why a certain grove of quakies is called "The Boneyard" even though no bones can be found anymore. To take her back to that little hidden wallow where I captured game cam photos of 6 different bears and 8 bulls in less than a month - and then break the gut-wrenching news that the wallow goes dry about a month before season opens, every stinkin' year! The little stories and anecdotes that get passed along between hunting partners are innumerable but critical to really "know" an area and add flavor to any hunt, far beyond a heavy pack and a fresh gut pile.

We hunt to harvest. Yet, the hunt itself is so much more. To me there is something exciting about taking a new hunter, or maybe an old hunter learning a new area, and not only showing them a new area, but passing along the history also. Knowing the history leads to knowing all of the nooks and crannies of an area and leads to more opportunities for meat in the freezer. Many of our skills come from the "what not to do" column and now makes us better hunters. Granted, much of that is not information to be posted for all the world to see and glob onto in a forum, but that information is in fact being passed along by many Roksliders as they mentor and work with others out in the woods where that information is meaningful.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt! (11 days away for me...…)

ElkNut1

WKR
Ha Ha! Thanks!

Btaylor, heck I get 100's of calls, I enjoy them all every year, you can call me anytime!
208-315-0562

ElkNut/Paul

OP
mfllood3800

I'm not as young as I thought
Lol
aab4002ab01c8c9ff5e6b335ef9d4bc5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ecw

FNG
Kudos on getting a new hunter out. Traditions are only such if they are passed along. Good luck and keep the pics coming for us lurkers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Well, had to come off the mtn early. Have a severe tooth infection, under a bridge I had put in 20 yrs ago. I am on antibiotics and then 6 more days I go in to have the decaying tooth removed and the bridge cut and reassembled on the rear its origin. My jaw has been intensely in pain for 3 nights.
I had a few encounters with cows but no spikes yet. All the cows I saw had calves, and I wont shoot those. Im hoping these a/biotics kick in enough to let me get back up there this weekend, cause Im not sure how I will feel after Tuesdays extraction.
Was really hoping to already be tagged out.
This is a new addition to my elk journal as I have never been run off the mountain by a stupid tooth issue.

SethH

Lil-Rokslider
Man what a bummer. Literally had the same thing happen to me when in CO 4 years ago. Killer tooth ache from a tooth under my bridge. Had to have the bridge pulled and redone. 🤬$$$$$$$$. Best of luck with it.

OP
mfllood3800
Man what a bummer. Literally had the same thing happen to me when in CO 4 years ago. Killer tooth ache from a tooth under my bridge. Had to have the bridge pulled and redone. 🤬$$$$$$$$. Best of luck with it.

I told the dentist, pull the whole thing out now. He said well lets cut it in half and save the back ($3000)
I replied, while its still in my mouth he said yes.

Will find out the damage Tuesday.
Woke up today and the A/biotics are helping. No way I could hike yet as once my heart starts pounding thru exercise then the throbbing increases. But maybe Fri or Sat.

I kept thinking this will be my easiest hunt all year, turning into the one hunt that I may not even finish.
Funny how life does that

OP
mfllood3800
Went out at 6000' yesterday- could only hike 2 miles and was badly winded. Between the infection, and setting in of a cold, my body said "no".
lol
Too bad my body doesn't dictate.
:)

Im gonna head up back to 11,000 today and see what I can turn up.
Dentist appt Tuesday to cut out bad tooth.
Not sure how I'll feel after that, so this may be my last chance....
For this hunt anyway
Still have id bull, buck tags in 2 weeks, then Ut muzzle Cow tag in Oct/Nov
there's still hope