How important is opening day to Archery season?

I'm gonna be hunting Zone 48 in Idaho this September, and am trying to plan out which days to request off from work. This is my first year elk hunting. I originally planned to take off 5 Fridays and Mondays (total, not each), giving me a couple 4 days weekends to hunt. I live inside the zone, so traveling isn't much of an issue.

I found an incredible spot scouting that I'm anxious to get to before others. Is it worth taking off Aug 30 and 31, making a 5 day weekend right off the bat (Labor Day that Monday), or would those days be better spent later in the season when the rut is going stronger?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every opening weekend I've ever gone I've gotten bulls to bugle, and even got within 50 yards of them. But I've never shot a bull opening weekend, either couldn't get the shot or passed them up. However, if you have a good water spot that gets frequented, those early season warm days are the ticket......if you can hunt that way. I can't, so I generally wait to head up until later.....depending on the unit I'm hunting. I have a couple buddies that have shot big bulls opening morning over the last 7 years. The advantage is no pressure up until opening day. But I also avoid Labor Day weekend like the plague. Down here you get every recreationalist in the state in the mountains that weekend.

However, if you have a good water spot that gets frequented, those early season warm days are the ticket......if you can hunt that way. .

Do you hunt wallows where they cool off? Or do you hunt water sources where they drink from? Do you use a treestand or just stand next to a tree?

Shrek

WKR
Opening day is the only day all your perfect plans might come together. After that it’s like what Mike Tyson said “ everyone’s got a plan until they get punched in the mouth “. Opening day is the punch in the mouth for both you and the elk. If first thing you’re on the elk and punch one down it’s great but after that every day is just trying to figure out where and what the elk are doing and reacting. If you’re or a particular bull or group of elk that you have scouted then opening day is a golden opportunity but otherwise I’d rather be in the thick of the rut if for no other reason than to witness the awesome craziness that is the rut. JMO.

To me It's important if you've got some animals patterned and trying to get them off a wallow or watering hole. Other than that I'd not take a day off opening weekend because Labor day weekend is usually a zoo.

IdahoElk

WKR
I'm gonna be hunting Zone 48 in Idaho this September, and am trying to plan out which days to request off from work. This is my first year elk hunting. I originally planned to take off 5 Fridays and Mondays (total, not each), giving me a couple 4 days weekends to hunt. I live inside the zone, so traveling isn't much of an issue.

I found an incredible spot scouting that I'm anxious to get to before others. Is it worth taking off Aug 30 and 31, making a 5 day weekend right off the bat (Labor Day that Monday), or would those days be better spent later in the season when the rut is going stronger?

I would wait,the bulls in our area(48) start looking for cows around the 10th with herds forming around the 18th,that's when it starts getting good.You can get into Elk from the start it just seems like the big guys get going towards the middle of the month on.
Also if the temps don't cool down from our 90º average lately the Elk won't be too active during daylight hours.

cnelk

WKR
I haven’t missed an opening day in years. And in all that time last year was the first year I connected on opening day.
I consider it a good barometer of the elk attitude and it’s also a nice warm up for when things really get going.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I love hunting opening weekend when the elk are up high in the open basins, but then usually go back a week or two later when the are pushed down into the dark timber and the bugling is underway. Do both if you can!

If i knew where a bull (or any elk you want to shoot) was before opener and could get in there before anyone else i certainly would give it a try. I shot my bull last year september 1st, not far from unit 48 in Idaho. It was HOT, but he was bugling some on his way back to bed with 20 + cows/calves. No one else was hunting that area yet and they hadn't seen any pressure. Slipped in and killed him the morning after finding their travel route.

OP
P
Thanks for all the advice. Since I've got several mature bulls located, seems worth trying. It's about 5 miles in off-trail, so hopefully it won't be too crowded. It's also near a reliable water source with active wallows, and at altitude, so the heat shouldn't be as much of an issue. Could always try to convince my girl to let me take an extra day or two off later in the season!

I know a guy who has a treestand over a waterhole in a high mountain patch of dark timber in Utah. He kills a bull every year on the first or second day of archery season over it.

And no, he wont tell me were it is...lol

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For archery I don’t think it is super important as unlike gun season the cannons going off is a sure signal to any veteran elk or deer hunting season is upon us and time to hide. I have never missed a rifle opener and have not been on an archery opener in over a decade. As noted if you have a bull patterned or hitting a wallow you may not want to miss it, otherwise the real fun and xcitement is later👍

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Biologists generally concede that the peak of the elk rut coincides with the fall equinox on September 22nd. I like to hunt the pre-rut, when bulls are generally more susceptible to cow calls. That would be about ten days or so before the rut maxes out. There will be a new moon around the 9th of September this year, another plus. I've always had my best success during a new moon phase around the second week of September. That always spells magic for me. August 30th, 31st, Sept. 1st...a bit too early after a week of full moon in late August. Second week of September, the temps should cool down, and the bulls should heat up.

You only get 1 opening day a year. You get multiple other days of hunting. It's a magical time of year and mine starts in 2 days
:)

Rizzy

WKR
I would for sure get in there on the opener if you have a bachelor group of Bulls located. Most likely they will still be establishing hierarcky at this time and not be surrounded by smart Cows. They will be mostly silent and non-aggressive, use a similar hunting style.
The heat can be the biggest problem this time of year if you kill one.

Catahoula

WKR
I feel that opening day is important as any other hunt day. Never know what is going to happen. For archery season here in Co. I just make it a given that I’ll be available to hunt the entire archery season whether it’s to help a family member, a friend, or hunt myself.